chapter 11

Only Nyx and Cal had come to watch me train with Rhysand today. We stood in the same location as last time. I frowned at the grass that had once been full of life and swaying in the wind. Now it was just a withered patch of black.

"Let's try this again, shall we?" Rhysand was leaning casually against a tree with his hands in his pockets. Cal and Nyx stood next to him with their arms crossed.

I sighed and plastered on a smile. "Fine, but I doubt I'll be able to do anything special."

"I think the poor grass would beg to differ." Nyx snorted then walked forward, extending a hand out to me.

I smirked and raised an eyebrow. "Did I scare you too much Rhysand? You've forced Nyx into this?"

"He didn't force me to do anything." Nyx smirked at me.

"I figured it would be harder for you to be mad at him." Rhysand took a hand out of his pocket and gestured to his son.

"And why is that?" I chuckled, but Rhysand's right, when I look at Nyx my mind wanders in places it shouldn't wander. How could I be mad at someone who distracts me so well?

Rhysand raised an eyebrow. "Because he takes after his mother."

Cal snickered and Nyx glanced at Rhysand with a knowing smile. Rhysand clicked his tongue and stood from the tree. "Let's see it."

I retracted my smile and grabbed Nyx's hand with my right hand. I instantly felt his power surge through me. Before, when I high-fived him in the house of wind and touched his fingers in the kitchen, I wasn't focused on anything other than winnowing. But now that I have a chance to feel how different his power is, I can tell how strong it is.

My eyes widened slightly as I pulled my hand away after returning the breeze of air back.

"You okay?" Nyx looked concerned and slowly pulled his hand back.

"Wow." My shocked expression faded into wonder as soon as I let out a giggle. I could feel the different powers of each Court flow through me. Water, ice, fire, wind, shapeshifting, light, and the strongest—darkness.

Nyx glanced nervously to Cal who stepped forward to stand next to Nyx. "You're looking a little crazy there, Belladonna."

I didn't have the energy to scowl at Cal. Nyx's power surged through my body like it was all I was. I wasn't flesh or blood, I was just Nyx's power.

With a smirk, I turned around and faced the heavily wooded forest. Then, I expelled the different elements. Fire scorched a tree to the ground, water put the fire out and ice froze the large puddle. My skin glowed and darkness radiated from me in a wispy cloud. I used the wind to hold the darkness close to my body and used shapeshifting to make myself strong enough to stand my ground until the power left my body.

"Holy shit." Rhysand whispered in awe behind me.

Breathing heavily, I turned around and flashed him a wide smile. "Language."

Cal snickered and Nyx was just staring in awe at the frozen puddles where a large cedar tree used to stand. He looked back at me, keeping that awe filled smile on his face. His blue eyes brightened with a challenge. "You can do better than that."

My smile widened, and we spent the day seeing just how strong I was. I got the hang of it eventually, trying out the individual powers in order to control them. It was difficult, but Nyx didn't allow me to become frustrated in myself. He knew what to say when that angered feeling rose in my chest. He knew how to calm me down and it just made me more in awe of him.

When a few hours had passed, everyone was thoroughly exhausted, so we winnowed back to the House of Wind, where everyone met us for dinner. I didn't have to rely on anyone to carry me once we reached the wards to the house, which made me proud of everything I had accomplished.