chapter 24

Amren

As far as travel partners go, Morrigan is by far the most annoying. She's always dancing around the conversation like I'm going to snap at her, which would make for an interesting journey, but I'm not about to risk our detection in the Continent.

The stupid girl has run off on her own.

I don't blame her, I think what she's done was brave, but it seems as though everyone cares a great deal about her for it to just be the end of things.

Maybe I care more than I'd like to admit about her.

She's the only Fae that hasn't truly cared about my temper or attitude. She's strong and powerful. I think I've grown to like the girl.

Which is why I'm enduring this trek with Morrigan.

We've been searching everywhere—listening in on conversations carefully to determine if the Dark Mother's Coven resides here. So far, we've come up empty handed.

Our last effort has us traveling through an old trading market on the southern coast. Morrigan has glamoured us to look as dull as the humans we pass, which helps with our cover, but I find the look repulsive.

The market is crowded today—which I'm not pleased about but it makes it easier to pick up on gossip.

"Look." Morrigan lowered her voice and nodded in the direction of an elderly female—woman—with gloved hands. She sat in a chair next to a fisherman's stall, bouncing a plump toddler on her lap. The toddler's hands were also gloved, giving me hope that they were Siphoners.

I nodded in acknowledgment, then followed close behind Morrigan as we pretended to browse the selection of dead fish.

"Can I help you ladies with anything?" A red-faced male—man—regarded us with a scrutinizing eye.

"My Uncle sent us to find the best trout money can by..." Morrigan paused over the selection, then clicked her tongue. "We'll be on our way."

The man scoffed at us and crossed his meaty arms over his chest. "My men spent days on the boat to find the best trout. This is certainly what you're looking for."

While Morrigan argued with the man, I noticed how the old woman cast a sidelong glance at the two of us. In a movement too casual to go unnoticed, she stood out of her chair, placing the toddler on her hip, and walked away. I kept my eyes trained on the woman as she reached a younger woman, also wearing gloves. I sighed dramatically and looked at the man. "Do all of the women here tolerate your ranting and bragging?"

The man looked appalled. "The women here are not to be tested young lady. You should mind your tongue."

"And why is that?" Morrigan placed her hands on her hips, staring down the man with an intensity that made me like the girl.

He narrowed his eyes at Morrigan, and in a low and deadly voice he said, "The Dark Mother watches over all of us. So maybe you should show some respect."

I smirked, knowing we've found the location we need. Now, it's just a matter of avoiding a fight.

Morrigan's eyes widened. "The Dark Mother? We've heard rumors but..." She looked around, then leaned in to whisper. "Do the Sisters of the Dark Mother protect this place? My Cousin and I have a deep appreciation for the Coven."

I scoffed internally as a newfound respect glimmered in the man's brown eyes. "The Sisters indeed protect this place. So long as you show your respect, you'll find that no bad will come to you here."