chapter 23

Nyx

My eyes slowly opened as the morning light poured through the window. I smiled up at the ceiling remembering the night before. How Bella had felt in my hands, on my lips, around my cock.

I was still nervous that she would be scared about the mating bond and run away, so I've decided to wait until she felt more comfortable here. With each day that passes, I see how much she loves Velaris—my home.

With the small smile still on my face, I roll over to face her. But dread fills me when she isn't laying next to me.

She could be in the bathroom.

I quickly shot out of bed and threw on my clothes from the night before. Then, I knocked on the bathroom door. When there was so answer, I opened it to find she wasn't inside. I searched the whole damn townhouse, but she was nowhere to be found. Growing worried, I jammed my feet into my shoes and walked towards the door.

A paper on the floor caught my eye before I opened the door. I bent down to retrieve it, and when I read the first few lines, I could feel the color drain from my face.

Nyx,

I'm so sorry to do this to you—to everyone, but you have to understand that I have no choice.

I have to leave. The witches are still looking for me. My father is still looking for me and I'm afraid I've stayed here for too long.

They need me for their potion, and I can't let any of you get hurt or killed because of me.

Please try to understand and please don't come looking for me. I'll be okay.

-Bella

I read the note over and over again until my vision blurred with tears. My heart was beating so fast in my chest that I thought it would explode.

I have to find Mom and Dad, they'll know what to do.

I flew to the River House as fast as I could. I didn't care about the judgement coming from everyone else in the house as I ran up the stairs and banged on my parent's door.

"Nyx, what's wrong?" Aunt Elain placed a gentle hand on my shoulder. I turned to see her worried expression fade to shock as she looked at me.

"Where's Mom and Dad?" My voice came out hoarse.

She gulped, then dropped her hand from my shoulder. "They're at Windhaven. Can I help?"

I showed her the letter and watched her face as she read it. When she looked up at me, I could see the sadness in her eyes.

"I think Cal's downstairs. Have him go with you to Windhaven." Aunt Elain handed me back my letter, then gave me a quick hug before I shot back down the stairs.

Cal was already there, probably overhearing the conversation. "I don't know what's gotten into you, but we'd better hurry before the storm rolls in."

So we flew fast and hard to Windhaven. The letter burned a hole through my pocket and my mind raced with worry and desperation. When we landed, we wasted no time threading through the camp until we found Mom and Dad speaking with Devlon. They saw us approach and sent him away.

"Nyx, Cal, what's wrong?" Mom had a worried expression on her face, but I didn't know what to say. So instead, I simply handed her the letter and waited for what seemed like an eternity for her and Dad to read it.

When they looked back at me, I didn't have the mental capacity to shuffle through their emotions. "What do we do?"

"I-I don't know." Mom whispered as Dad put a calming hand on her shoulder.