chapter 27

Nyx

We were about halfway back to Velaris when I felt Bella's pain down the bond. I could feel the color drain from my face as I forgot how to fly. I caught myself before I fell, but my mind was focused on Bella.

"Bella where are you?" My voice came out frantic as I started flying faster.

"What's the matter?" Dad's voice echoed in my head. His voice was laced with concern, but I shoved it aside and focused on Bella.

"Bella answer me!" I tried to yell as hard as I could, but she didn't respond.

"Nyx, what the hell is going on?" Dad's stern voice filled my head again.

I grumbled, then answered. "Bella's in pain."

Dad didn't respond, but flew faster with Gwyn in his arms. We were just about home went another wave of pain came from Bella. I landed on the ground hard, pain shooting up my legs.

"She's not responding." I said breathlessly as the three of us stormed through the River House. We met up with everyone in the dining room—I assumed gathered by Dad.

"What happened?" Mom asked with shock as she looked between the three of us.

"Why did you ask us all to be here?" Amren drawled from her comfortable seat at the table.

Dad looked at me and nodded, signaling for me to speak. "Bella's in pain, and she's not responding. We couldn't find Uncle Azriel, and the Witches at the western camp claimed that tomorrow they'll unleash the Dark Mother."

"Shit." Uncle Cassian entered behind us, having heard the conversation. He was covered in bruises and had a split lip that was bleeding steadily.

Aunt Nesta shot up from her chair and walked over to him, placing a tender hand to his cheek. Her worried gaze turned to anger as she continued to look over him. "What the hell is wrong with you? Did you fight the whole damn camp?"

Uncle Cassian let out a breathy chuckle and wrapped Aunt Nesta in a tight hug. "Practically had to in order to keep the attention off of these three. But I'm okay, we should be looking for Bella and Az."

"Where would we even start?" Cal asked, clearly stressed.

Adira stood and pulled a map from a shelf in the far corner. Maeve stood and helped her unroll it, placing weights on the four corners to keep it still. A thrilling chill shot through my body, knowing that these two have a plan—I love when they have a plan.

Maeve's face hardened to match Adira's as she looked at Dad and I. "Adira and I have been coming up with ideas ever since we all got back from our missions."

"The witches are clearly staying in the western camp, as well as some stragglers in the eastern camp." Adria said.

Maeve pointed a long finger on the map. "Mor and Amren found a group of them in the southern part of the Continent—"

"Which is where Amren said they originated from." Adira added.

"Yes, but we'd be foolish to think that those are the only locations they're hiding in." Maeve slid her finger along the map until she landed on the Prison. "What was your assumption as to how the Death Gods escaped?"

Dad braced his hands on the table and narrowed his eyes on the map. "Helion and I said it was dark power radiating from the area. We figured the Death Gods had found a way to bring down the ward—that it was their power that we felt linger."

"You think the witches could still be in the Prison?" I questioned.

Adira gave me a firm nod. "Think about it... nobody dares to travel there, and if they do, they don't linger. They get what they need and go. If the witches know how to bring down the wards, they could just rely on Uncle Rhys and Helion to repair them."