chapter 31

Nyx, Cal, Maeve, Adira, and I sat on Nyx's bed playing a riveting game of go-fish when a knock sounded at the door.

"Nyx?" Feyre called from the other side.

"Come in." He called back.

Feyre opened the door and was shocked to see us laughing with cards. Or at least, I was laughing. Maeve had just beat everyone for the fifth time in a row—leaving Cal with a scowl on his face.

"I—we have to go to the Court of Nightmares." Feyre looked to Nyx and I.

Nyx sighed, then stood from the bed. "When do we leave?"

"As soon as possible. Bella, we'd like you to come too if you're feeling up for it." Feyre gave me a small smile.

Since I was in a good mood, I agreed, and everyone was sent off to let us change. I went back to my room to find Cerridwen laying a dress on my bed and organizing makeup at the vanity.

"Good afternoon Belladonna, I'm here to help you get ready." She gave me a warm smile.

"Thanks, that'd be great." I gave her a small smile in return. Then I noticed the dress, and my eyes widened slightly.

Cerridwen let out a small chuckle. "It's the style down there. If you'd like something a little less revealing—"

"No, no, it's so pretty." I tried to reassure her, but I wasn't lying. The dress was black with white glitter scattered throughout that resembled stars. The bodice looked tight and each breast was covered with a triangle held up by two thin straps. The fabric of the left breast cross over the right to cinch the waist, and the rest flowed past the hip with a dangerously high thigh slit.

Cerridwen helped me into the dress and put product in my hair to brighten my curls before braiding a few strands at my temples and securing them to the back of my head with a clip that matched my dress. She spread kohl over my eyelids to form a slightly smudged winged eyeliner and gave me a deep crimson lip after I did my own mascara. She had attempted to to the last part, but my eyes kept twitching whenever she got close.

Finally, I stood and looked at myself in the long mirror in the corner of my room. I smiled wide and thanked Cerridwen, who nodded before she left. As I spun to check out my ass, I noticed the back of my dress was open and stopped just below my back dimples. I raised my gaze and pushed aside my hair to see two thin scars...

The Witches had taken everything from me.

My mother took me and ran because she couldn't handle the abuse from my father that came after she was caught teaching me how to fly.

And I killed her.

My hand reached up to fiddle with the onyx pendant around my neck as I stared at those two scars.

Her death was for nothing.

I let out quick and harsh breaths through my nose—willing myself not to cry, but laughter came out instead. A cruel twisted sound that wasn't natural. A knock on my door made me stop, but it didn't get rid of the horrible void that's digging its claws deeper into my soul. I opened the door to find Nyx, who wore nice black pants with a black tunic—embroidered with silver accents around his collar, wrists, and the hem of the shirt.

He gaped at me before clearing his throat. "You look breathtaking Bella."

I scoffed. "Thanks. I'd agree with you, but I'm having a bit of a crisis."

The puzzled look on his face made me break out in that same sad laughter. "I have two ugly reminders on my back Nyx. They took my fucking wings." That laughter turned into tears and I tilted my head up to the ceiling to not let them ruin my makeup.