Chapter eleven - Lucy

It was the early morning when Lucy woke up again after a fitful night of sleep. She jumped in the shower and turned it a bit colder than she normally did, just to wake herself up a bit. Downstairs she walked straight to the coffee machine and brewed herself a nice cup of coffee.

She walked over to the window at the back of the house and opened the curtains and sat back down in her cosy chair. With a blanket over her knees and a cup of coffee in her hand Lucy felt calm and she sat enjoying the silence before starting her day.

But she couldn't help her mind wandering off back in the day when it was still her mom, her and her dad. Sometimes when they were lucky enough to all be off on the same day they would sit around on their porch and talk about their week. Lucy cherished those moments and held them close to her heart.

And that let her back towards the funeral, the date was coming closer and closer. Sometimes when Lucy let it, the feelings overwhelmed her and struck her almost immobile. Like right now, the feelings overwhelming her and tears started trickling down her chin. She still couldn't quite believe her dad wasn't here anymore.

She let herself wallow in her self pity for a while, before deciding to get her day going.

It was mid morning when she heard the rumble of the engines and thought of Pyro. He had texted her in the morning that he would stop by somewhere during the day. Lucy had cleaned up the last of the mess that was downstairs and thought back to her conversation with Pyro. They had talked a bit on the phone in the morning and she had to admit he was growing on her.

The rumble became louder and louder and only seemed to raise in noice, she didn't know why but Lucy felt like something was off. Before she knew it a pop sounded and she dove down behind the couch.

This was a sound that she had heard once before when the three stooges had decided to get drunk and shoot at the animals in the forest behind her old home. Lucy had hated the sound then and hated the sound now. It seemed to go on forever.

She curled up behind the couch and tried her best to make herself as small as possible. Then all of a sudden the sound stopped and Lucy felt like she could breathe again. It took her a while to get the shaking to subside and when it finally did she heaved herself upright and sat against the far wall. The house wasn't all that damaged but she still couldn't help the tears from falling, again.

She pulled her phone out of her back pocket and tried to blink her tears away. Lucy didn't even know why but there was only one person she wanted to call right now.

The phone rang three times before she heard someone pick up.

"Pyro?"

"Lucy is that you?"

Lucy's breath seemed to hitch and she couldn't help herself from blubbering a response.

"Lucy, hey I need you to breathe for me please. Please pixie you can do this, in for 3 hold 4 and release for 5 seconds."

Lucy heard him mumble something to someone else while trying to focus on her breathing, but it didn't help and she started clawing at her throat. Willing her body to just take a breath, while her lungs started to sting and her tears were steadily falling down her face.

"Pixie I'm sending our medic over he'll be there in a minute just sit tight please. I'm so sorry I'm not there red. His name is Storm. He'll be there soon with Mac, Hawk and Spike. Do you remember them, you saw them last night."

Lucy tried to reply, she really did but she couldn't breath.