Chapter 37

Alice woke up and looked at the window to her right. It was around nine pm, she fell asleep after helping all day around the inn. She felt an arm wrapped around her body and smiled. She slowly turned around and saw her, Jocelyn. "Good morning." Alice whispered as she pushed a few strands of hair behind her back.

Before Jocelyn could say anything Alice's phone rang. Polly's name was on the screen and Alice knew it was bad because ever since she left, over a year ago they never called, they only texted just as she asked. "Something wrong?" Jocelyn asked.

"I think so." With a terrible feeling overwhelming her Alice picked up the phone and answered it. "Polly, is everything-"

"Veronica, she attempted suicide. We're going to the hospital to see her and Hermione. Mom, I think you should-"

"I'll come home." Alice cut her off and the moment she hung up she called Hermione, but she didn't pick up. Alice turned around and looked at the gorgeous woman beside her.

"You have to leave." Jocelyn said and Alice nodded. They had spent the last three months together at that inn. Jocelyn owned it, but Alice did everything there was to do around because Jocelyn was sick, she had terminal cancer.

"Come with me." Alice didn't want to leave her alone. Jocelyn had no one yet she helped Alice, she made her love life again after her own attept right before she found the inn. "I'll rent a van, I'll drive to Riverdale and you'll come with me sweetheart."

"Ok." Jocelyn jusy wanted to be asked, she didn't want to be a burden. She loved Alice and she knew she loved her too. "I'll call Mr. Robbins now." He was the man she sold the inn too. "I'll tell him he can officially take ownership today."

"I'll go get something to eat and I'll pack before we go." It was late so the first thing Alice did was rent a van then she brought some food for them upstairs.

"I'm not really hungry." Jocelyn said when Alice came in with the food. She had a few weeks left, maybe another month.

"Just a little Jocey, there's a road trip waiting for us." Alice smiled. She knew how much Jocelyn hated being treated as a dying person so Alice never did. "While you eat a little I'll pack and we can go, ok?"

"Ok." Jocelyn eventually agreed and she ate. Five hours later they were in Riverdale. Alice panicked for a moment. It was two in the morning and they didn't have where to go, she didn't want to go to where FP was living now so she texted Fred to let him know she was staying at his house in the guest room and he brought someone with her.

After taking Jocelyn there and letting her get some sleep Alice left and went to the hospital. Everyone was there, Hermione, Polly, Archie, Betty, Fred, Jughead, Hiram, FP and some random woman, well that was actually FP's girlfriend that Alice was told about. They had been together for a couple of months. She was a tall dark haired woman, she was younger than Alice, somewhere between twenty five and thirty, she was gorgeous Alice couldn't deny it. But she ignored her almost immediately. She wouldn't have tried to get back with FP in those moments and especially not with Jocelyn being in that state.

"Mione!" Alice called for her, she hadn't used that nickname in ages. Hermione looked up at her from where she was sittinhg. Her eyes were red, her nose puffy and she was beyond emotionally tired. But she stood up and walked over to her. "How is Veronica?"

"Sleeping." Hermione answered simply. She looked as if she had the weight of the world on her shoulders, but having her best friend there was something she desperately needed.

"Good." Alice wasn't sure what else to say so instead she hugged Hermione. Alice wasn't sure how much she needed it until Hermione slowly fell to the ground. Alice slid down with her and they were in each other's arms on the floor. Hermione was sobbing quietly, no one could hear, but Alice felt her body shake.

Hermione eventually calmed down a little and for some reason Alice only then noticed that she was in her scrubs. Hermione was at the hospital when Veronica was brought in. "Let's go get you changed then we'll come back."

"No, no, I can't-"

"Betty will go inside and stay there in case she wakes up until we come back. You've got to take care of yourself in order to take care of her." Alice whispered and somehow Hermione agreed.

So they went to the doctor's lounge and Hermione asked Alice about herself trying to get her mind off of what happened. "Did you leave Jocelyn there?"

"No." Alice shook her head. "She's at Fred's house. I couldn't leave her alone, she's got maybe two or three weeks to live, maybe a month."

"And are you ready to lose her?" Hermione asked Alice and Alice sighed. Of course she wasn't, but Jocelyn wasn't ready to go either so Alice ignored the question.

"I'm thinking about renting a house, the one in the forest. I'll introduce Jocey to the girls, she wants to meet them. You too." Alice smiled thinking about it.

"You've told her about FP, right?" Hermione asked and Alice nodded.

"But right now Jocey is my world."