Chapter 51

Alice left, Hermione refused to listen, talk or even look at her. When she went out of the house she saw FP getting out too and going to his car, but the moment he saw her he changed his direction and went towards her. "Where have you been?"

"Leave me alone!" Alice swallowed hard. She didn't want to talk to him, not when she felt like the worst person out there.

"Your daughter called me, she was freaking out not knowing where you were." FP explained the situation a little bit. "So where the hell have you been?" He wasn't patient, not after he had heard Betty crying on the phone. "Do you care at all about the people around you?"

"No!" Alice shook her head, it was exactly what she thought he expected to hear. "I don't give a fuck about anyone, ok? You happy now?"

"What is wrong with you?" FP was acting like a douche bag in those moments, it was as if he was the bad boy and she was, well she didn't know who she was anymore. "Go home to your daughter or better, don't. You look like crap. And I don't know who you've slept with but next time make sure he's smart enough to tell you when you put your shirt on backwards."

"I'll mention it to Fred." Alice said before she took the time to think it through and she continued. "But I'm sure he prefers it when my shirt's off." It took everything in her not to cry while talking.

FP watched her carefully as she spoke. He was trying to make sure he heard it right. His best friend and the woman he loved slept together. He couldn't show to her he was affected. His thoughts drifted to Hermione, she was in the exact situation he was in. He wasn't sure whether she knew and he decided to find out. "How does Hermione prefer it? I think she fancies the idea of you and Fred together, huh?"

"What are you trying to achieve right now?" Alice asked but she knew, they were both doing the same thing, which was trying to make the other feel awful. "Make me feel less than I do? You can't." And it wasn't because she was numb to it, it was because she was already at her lowest, but he didn't need to know that.

"I have no idea what's happening with you, but if you keep going this way it won't end well." FP said simply, the most honest words in those moments were the ones that hurt herthe worst. "As far as I'm concerned keep screwing up, but don't fuck with your daughters' lives. They deserve more than you."

It was the last straw, Alice couldn't keep staying there and looking at him. Her stomach was upside down, she had no other comebacks because no matter what he had always been a good man and a good father. She brought the worst in him and that was on her.

"I'll give you a ride." FP said thinking that maybe living her alone in those moments wasn't a smart idea, but she refused and started walking away. FP shook his head as he watched her for a few moments. He didn't want to go back into his house so he went to check on Hermione. He didn't know whether she knew or not, but he felt like she needed to know.

FP knocked on the door and after a few moments Hermione opened it. It was obvious she cried, her nose was red and so were her eyes, but she wiped away her tears before she opened the door. "She told you." It wasn't a question.

"Yes." Hermione whispered. Her stomach was twisting and turning. She never expected for that to happen, she never imagined, not even in her worst nightmares, that Alice, her best friend, her sould sister would do something like that. "You saw her?"

"Yeah." FP sighed and walked inside when Hermione stepped to let him in. "I don't know what's happening with her. I mean after Hal and Tall Boy she was broken, then I thought she was getting better, then she fell apart and left. When she came back we all thought she was fine and she screws everything up. What's next?"

"As far as I'm concerned she can do whatever she wants." Hermione swallowed her tears. She turned her back to FP as she spoke. "How many times were we drunk together? Many, but we never even thought of touching each other. She went out there and fucked Fred. She came back and ruined everything so she can just leave."

"Hermione-"

"Just look at her!" Hermione was angry, hurt, she felt bettayed because she was betrayed by her best friend. It was the worst kind of heartbreak. "She acts like a stupid teenager in love with you, like Jocelyn's widow, like the girls' mom, like my best friend. But what does she do in the end? She hurts you, she made Jocelyn fall for her when she knew she couldn't love her back, she makes a mockery out of her daughters' lives and she sleeps with the man I'm in love with."

FP looked at the back of Hermione's head. It all made sense, all those words were true. But he didn't know whether he should be just as angry as Hermione or pitty Alice. When she thought she had found her way she just got even more lost. "Do you need anything?"

"Call Fred, ask him to not come back until tomorrow afternoon. I need to get out of here before he gets home." Hermione said simply and FP nodded even though she wasn't paying attention.

"I'll try and talk to Alice too and-"

"My advice, don't." Hermione let out a shaky breath. "Or she'll fuck up your life even more."