Chapter 55

Two days later everything was done and nobody started asking questions about Penelope yet. Alice was still shaking, for two days she was under the impression that she never stopped shaking. She couldn't sleep and she barely ate anything. Luckily FP was there and he didn't plan on leaving, but he had another responsibility at home, Jellybean.

"Alice." FP called her name from across the room but she didn't seem to hear so he said it louder and louder each time a few times. Eventually she looked up. "I have to go back home. I'll get Jellybean here and some bags."

"What? I mean-"

"You need me here, I need to be here and I need JB close. We'll be here in an hour." FP told her. Alice didn't say anything, but the idea of being alone for an hour was terrifying.

But just as promised, an hour later FP was there with his and Jellybean's clothes. She didn't come yet because she asked to go out. The moment FP came back Alice stood up and walked to him. He was surprised because the only few moments she moved from the couch was when she went to the bathroom. "Are you ok?"

"Thank you." Alice whispered. FP could hear the wave of tears that was threatening to overwhelm her in her voice. "If it weren't for you-"

"You don't have-"

"I know I yelled. When you told me about you and Aimee a couple days ago." Alice still spoke in a whisper. Her voice was as weak as she was. "I'm sorry and I hope...I, I want, well I need, I..."

"What Alice?" FP asked in his softest voice and Alice was a step away from breaking down.

"I'm tired and I was wondering if you could, if you could stay with me tonight...in bed you know?" Alice needed to be held more than ever and she knew how much she hurt FP when she yelled at him. But she needed him, she needed him more than she needed the air she was breathing.

"In one condition." FP saw a sparkle in her eyes. She was ready to do anything, but in that very moment he wanted one thing from her. "You have to eat something, ok?"

"Yes!" Alice agreed with no hesitation. She was ready to do absolutely anything because after everything she had done to push FP away she knew he was actually her safest most loving place.

So Alice went with him into the kitchen and he made her a sandwich because that's what she asked for. He was sitting next to her as she took the first bite. "How is it?" He asked about the sandwich.

"It's good, thank you." But Alice only ate half of it. She was still worried about the Penelope thing, about the crime she committed. "Penelope-"

"Alice-"

"She's Cheryl's mother and Jason's." Alice cut him off. "How will I look them in the eyes?" She pushed her plate away and looked down at her hands.

"Would it have been better if they knew she was a serial killer?" FP asked Alice trying to ease her. It wasn't an excuse for murder, but he thought Alice might've felt better. "Betty and Polly don't even want to hear Hal's name and they don't know about him being a serial killer like his mistress."

"I don't know." She slightly shook her head. Her mind was covered in an overwhelming amount of fog. She was surprised she could even realise what her name was with all the complications. "I think I just need some sleep for now. When is Jells coming?"

"Any time from now until before dark." FP told his daughter that in no way should she stay out after dark. He also told her he'd pick her up that night because she hadn't been to the house before. "I'll have to go get her though."

"Do you think that you and Jells being here is a good idea?" Alice didn't want the question to sound mean or anything of the sort. She was genuinely wondering and the anticipation was killing her.

"Why wouldn't it be?" FP asked back and Alice shrugged her shoulders. But FP knew she knew because otherwise she wouldn't have asked the question. "Alice, why wouldn't it be?"

"I've done you more bad than good and to be honest, I'm scared I'll fuck everything up again. I have a way of doing this. Maybe it's me and not what happened. I mean-"

"It's you." FP cut her off and Alice was taken aback because she expected him to contradict her. "You've made mistakes, we all have. But you deserve a second chance. Most if not all of the things you've done were because you wanted to do good. Your problem was that you never asked the ones around you what was good for them. It's the same thing I did in high school when I broke up with you."

"How do you manage to always know what to say?" Alice asked as a small smile formed on her face.

"I just happen to know you."