Chapter 48

It was around nine when FP drove with Alice to the station where they watched Hal confess to the kidnapping and rape. They were informed by Sierra through the phone that Hal was going to spend the rest of his life in a high security prison and Alice hadn't been that relieved ever since she married him.

They were in the car and FP was driving her to the hospital for her wrist when Alice spoke. "You can drop me off there and I'll take a cab home or whatever." She told FP and he looked at her with the most surprised look on his face. He was going to have bruises from the fight and not only on his face.

"Are you serious?" FP asked and Alice just looked at him until he focused on the road ahead of them. He asked it again and Alice eventually told him that she was indeed serious, she didn't know what else to say. "Fine."

And thats exactly what FP did. He dropped her off at the hospital and after she was done she took a cab to Fred's house. She found Hermione and Gladys inside sitting on the couch. They looked at her when they heard the door. "What the-"

"Sam called. Where's FP?" Hermione stopped Gladys from talking.

"Home I guess." Alice shrugged her shoulders. She didn't want to be there, not with Hermione and Gladys. The first one was curious and asking too many questions while the second one was FP's ex.

"Drop you off? He fought for you, we both know Hal, he could've stabbed FP or shot him or-"

"Hermione don't-"

"My children's father is risking his life for you you dumbass!" Gladys said loudly and clearly. Alice was still wondering what she was doing there so she asked. "I saw FP all bleeding outside and I wanted to talk to you. Stop coming back!"

"What?" Alice was confused, not only by Gladys's words, but also by Hermione who was just watching Gladys attack her.

"He's happy with that stupid young thing. You came back and he's beaten up by your fucking ex-husband. He would die for you-"

"I don't see how that's my fault-"

"I don't give a fuck!" Gladys yelled, she was louder than she should've been especially considering that Archie and Veronica were upstairs and so was Fred. "Open your eyes! You aren't doing him any good, you never have. If you love him at least a little leave him alone. He already bought a ring."

"What ring? For Aimee?" Alice looked at Hermione. By the look on her face she knew Gladys wasn't lying. "You knew?"

"Alice-"

"I need some air." Alice turned around and before she got the chance to place her hand on the door handle the door opened and she saw Betty there, Veronica had called her. "Betty-"

"Mom." Betty said simply and Alice turned to look for one last time that night at Hermione and Gladys before she walked out with Betty. "So are we gonna keep walking in silence or are you going to tell me something?"

"There's nothing to tell." Alice said quietly. Her voice sounded weird, she noticed that so she was certain her daughter did too.

"Mom, is Dad really for good in prison?" Betty would've never said she approved of anything her father had done, he was a monster. However, he was still her father and being associated, especially by blood, to a man like that was both sad and humiliating.

"Yes." Alice answered simply. They didn't talk until they stopped in a park, it was late so there weren't people around. "Betty I..." but Alice stopped, she had no idea what to say.

"Maybe if you divorced him earlier it wouldn't have happened. But you didn't, you didn't because of us-"

"Don't you dare blame yourself Betty and Polly better not be doing this either." Alice reached for her youngest's hands. "I chose to stay and whatever happened happened. It's not on you nor on me. It's on him."

"I've done some research on vic-survivors." Betty was going to say victims because that's how people who've suffered of sexual assault are perceived, but they're actually survivors. "But I still don't know what to say. Does it really stay with you? Does your brain block certain details? I don't want to know what happened I just, I just want to know how you're feeling Mom. Because I need you and I've been needing you for a while, but I'm scared."

"What are you scared of Betty?" Alice was worried, she didn't know her leaving could cause that much confusion and damange when it came to the people around her.

"Of losing you again. Jug and I, we're doing well just for show. We're not, we're not as happy as we were and we can't talk to FP, Jug doesn't want that. And if you leave again I don't know what I'll do." Betty buried her head in her mothers chest and Alice held her tightly.

"I won't leave again, I promise you I won't!"