3

"Coach?"

Hinata could barely believe his eyes. His former coach was standing before him, giving him the same bewilder look he also had. Then, he gave him a huge smile before hugging him the tightest he's ever hugged him. Nostalgia and memories surrounded him before he gave in and started hugging back.

Sure, Hinata has memories he rather not remember. Rather have not even lived but from the few people that actually trusted him, his former coach was one of them. This group also includes his family as well as his former teacher and his former managers. They were the only ones that didn't turn their backs on him when it seemed like even the sun did.

"Damn kid. Look at how grown you are." Ukai had a clear emotional tone to his voice and his eyes held clear happiness. How he missed one of the best players he ever had the honor of coaching. "Seems like you've gotten taller too." Hinata's eyebrows creased and Ukai could only let out a hearty laugh. Hinata hadn't grown much taller. He was low 5'6 or so. Sure he was taller but he did wish he was given a few more centimeters.

"So what? You're the player I'm supposed to meet today?" playful eyes stared at Hinata before he let out one of his many competitive grins he only ever let out when he was playing. He did let them out when he raced with a certain someone but that was long from happening. "You bet." Ukai let out another laugh before the action happened.

It was a somewhat short demonstration but Ukai Keishin knew one thing, Hinata was flying higher than ever.

•••

Hinata was panting slightly after spiking the last ball. He turned, ready to know whether or not he made it. Ukai only stared at him for a few seconds which started to make him worry before a smile bloomed on his now coach's face. "You're in." Hinata could only show a smile of pure happiness. "You'll start tomorrow morning. For now, settle in." Hinata agreed and left the gym.

He was so happy.

Volleyball was one of the few things that didn't change for him. After the incident he became a lot more closed off and it was harder for him to make friendships which came as a shock to his family and to himself since he used to be able to make friends with even a rock. He was definitely not what he once was. Whether it was his now evident trust issues or simply the fact that huge insecurities weighted down on him. Regardless, volleyball stayed as the one thing he still would get all giddy and excited for. He would always dread the time he couldn't play or practice. It was truly his life.

•••

The rest of Hinata's day was uneventful. He was supposed to start today but was apparently supposed to start on Thursday. Something about there being a small issue with his files. He really didn't understand it but he was told he could still practice. Like this, he left soon after and went back home where he played some cards with his Nana and then took a nap. A relaxing day other than the small emotional ride he had with coach Ukai.

Unlike Hinata however, there was a certain group that was currently on alert.

"Are you sure you saw him Oikawa."

"Goddamit, yes!" the group of men could only look at him with wary eyes. They had just heard one the most absurd news from the setter's mouth. Hinata Shoyo, their Hinata Shoyo, was in Japan. It was unbelievable.

"Where did you say you saw him?" Oikawa could only roll his eyes and grit his teeth hearing what Ushijima just asked. He took a deep breath before responding for the umpteenth time, "I already told you. I was on my way home after picking up my aunt from the airport when I looked outside and Hinata was there. Sleeping in the car next to mine."

"And you are sure-" "I SWEAR IF YOU ASK ME ONE MORE FUCKING TIME-" the outburst was stopped when the bell to the cafe they were in ringed and another member of the group walked in. "So you're finally here huh Lev." the said man only gave them a short apology before seating with the rest of them. "So what is it that was so important?" Suga sighed before answering "Oikawa says he saw Hinata."

Lev tensed up and they all saw it.

"What is it?"

"He's probably just shocked by hearing such a ridiculous thing!" Oikawa rolled his eyes hearing Terushima's words. "It's not ridiculous!" "He hates us! So much that he left! Why would he ever step foot back in this country?!" a headache was forming on some of the men's heads. This bickering has been ongoing since they arrived which was about 10 minutes ago. They're surprised they haven't gotten kicked out yet.

"It's not ridiculous." they would've almost not heard Lev since he said those words in such a whisper but they heard it. "What do you mean?" Lev looked up at them with wide eyes. "I was at the store the other day and I...I saw him too." for the first time since they arrived, silence fell upon them. Each was lost in thought. When they first heard what Oikawa said, they clearly didn't believe it. Just like what Terushima said, Hinata hates them. There was no way he would come back. Not after all this time. But now hearing Lev also confirm Oikawa's absurd theory, they're rethinking whether such a thing as Hinata Shoyo coming back is ridiculous or not.

The silence was thick and suffocating before Suga broke the silence, "If this is true, then we might just see Hinata again." this warmed up all their hearts. They missed him. They missed him so much and they hated themselves for not believing him before anyone else. They messed up, badly and the thought of Hinata being close to them, them apologizing and then maybe have a second chance with him. It was all they could wish for. Specially for those that not only cared for him, but wanted something more than friendship.

The group went their own ways, all with one thing in mind, how to win Hinata Shoyo back.

a/n: the full explanation of the incident will either be slowly shown in chapters or maybe just be a one chapter kind of thing. leaning more towards the first option.