10

a/n: same warning as always.
minor angst.

Hinata was in a field. It was the same field their family would visit when he was younger. Nature resounded all around it and it was home to tons of animals that Hinata looked forward to seeing everytime he'd visit.

"Nana! Look how high I can jump!

Hinata was jumping all around. Everytime he jumped, he aimed to go higher than before. "Good job dear. I've never seen such a spectacular jump before!" he gave his grandma a grin before running to her and hugging her. He buried his head on her embrace and submerged in her warmth.

Then his nightmares took over.

Hinata shot up, waking up in cold sweat, heavily breathing with a tear stained face. He clutched his chest before curling into a ball to try and calm himself. His eyes had began to form tears and no matter how hard he tried, his breathing was still ragged. Then the door to his room opened and he felt warm arms wrap around him. He lift his head up to see his grandma giving me a close eyed smile.

"N-Nana? What are you doing up?" he sniffed a little. "I woke up to have a glass of water. I heard noise from your room and realized you were crying. Did you have a nightmare?" Hinata stared dumbfounded for a little before nodding his head and sobbing. "Oh you poor dear." his grandma then embraced him tightly as he cried in her arms. Just like in his dream. His grandma caressed his head and hair gently and cooed him quietly.

"Sho."

"Hnm?"

"When you were younger you used to have nightmares every night." Hinata lifted his head "You used to wake up screaming and crying. Saying that there were monsters in your head. That they were chasing you all over the place and how you tried to escape them, but they always got you. We knew you were scared but you were also angry and dare I say, determined. Angry that you couldn't outrun them even when you were the fastest kid in the entire neighborhood." His grandma let out a sigh. Remembering the times Hinata would race with the kids countless times until they fell on the ground, exhausted.

"You would race the kids tons of times. You always won but then the new neighbors arrived and their kid was faster. You were angry you lost but you were even more determined to get faster and then beat the kid when you raced again. You started to race every night. From your room to the kitchen and living room. This went on for a week before you raced the kid again. This time you won." she then gave him a bright smile. "You won against someone faster than you. You were so proud and happy. And you were able to beat him because you were determined. Eventually, you stopped having nightmares. Because you had finally outran the monsters that were chasing you." her smiled died down a little "I don't know what monsters are chasing you now, but I know you can outrun them too."

Hinata had silent tears raining down his cheeks as his bright eyes looked up at his grandma. "And if you can't outrun them," the arms embracing him now tightened a little "I'll be here." he could only hope she was there.

•••

"Nice serve!"

Shoes were clashing against the floor in the gymnasium. Players were dashing left and right. Then a whistle rang. "Okay that's enough for today." the volleyball players were exhausted beyond belief. Some collapsed on the ground and were huffing aggressively. "Gather up. I have an announcement." the team slowly rounded up and surrounded their coach. "A team from another will be staying with us for a bit." murmurs emerged from the team. Some excited while others didn't care much.