1. The Encounter

"When I saw you
I fell in love,
and you smiled
because you knew."

- William
Shakespeare

- William Shakespeare

Clara Carter

I chew a gum, tap my heel and look around. Nerds are marching in a row towards university, their heads about to collapse into their fat-ass books. Some boys are standing under a tree, looking around, hitting on girls going by with pick-up lines.

Brain-deaf, attention-seeking chicks taking selfies in arguably sexy poses to attract the attention of the college's bad boy, Samuel — the person with whom I got into an unwanted fight last year.

Everything is now under control, and we try to keep as far away from each other as possible.

In short, same shit, every day.

I walk up to the entrance gate and lower my sunglasses to read the name on the gate—
'Aerilon University -
Leaders in progress'

Leaders my ass!

I notice the guard on my right and toss my bike keys in his direction. He parks it in my designated spot in the parking lot for me.

I nod and continue strolling across campus. Except for a few classic old trees and a few class buildings that seemed out of this world with their old-fashioned structure, everything's in good working order.

Being a student for three years at this well-known university, full of both idiots and scholars was an adventure in itself. To have my projects and experiments signed and approved, I had to deal with the unwelcomed. I look left and right for the dumbass, but he is nowhere to be found.

"Are you looking for someone?" a cheerful voice asks. I turn around to see a ridiculously attractive stranger smirking mischievously at me. His eyes have the look of a long-lost buddy, but not his demeanor or the way he scans me.

I've never seen him on this campus before. I give a goofy grin.

"Yes, dear, I'm looking for an ambulance," I say. Raising an eyebrow at me, he shows his confusion. "Because, honey, if you mess up with me and break at least one bone, I'm not going to take you to the hospital."

I pout at him, attempting to maintain a casual expression. If you ask me, I'm always up for making friends who are as humorous and easygoing as this guy.

His lips utter a silent chuckle, and he asks, puzzled,

"You've got to be kidding, right? You've got a great sense of humor, bae."

"Firstly, I am not and will never be your bae, and secondly, you should fuck off right now and try not to cross my path again." I smile.

I turn around and move towards my classroom building.