41. The ache in heart

Clara Carter

In less than a half-hour, three of us arrive at Stefan and Charlie's house outside of the city. House is locked. Their car nowhere to be seen.

I kick my leg against the door, cursing furiously at the inhuman piece of wood.

"What now?" Ray asks, standing near the car and hugging herself to keep from getting cold. She is the most sensitive and frail of us all. I didn't bother advising her she needed to go home as I knew she wouldn't listen. She wouldn't let me alone when my life is fucked up.

I spot an elderly lady walking out of a house on the opposite side of where we are. Pushing my way through Tyler, I run after her.

"Excuse me!" I shout into the air that reaches her ear. She stops in her tracks and waits for me till I cross the lone road to her.

"Hi, good morning." I greet politely. She greets me back with a warm and kind smile on her wrinkled face. I'm assuming she's out for a walk based on her appearance. Till then, Tyler and Ray rush towards me, panting from the unintentional workout I'm giving them.

"Could you perhaps tell us where the people from that house went?"

I point in the direction of Stefan's house. The beautiful memories we had there begin to pool in my mind like fresh tears in my eyes. I shove them both aside and turn to face the lady, hoping for a response. She frowns and squints her eyes at the house.

"Who lived there again?"

As I say, "Two boys." my desperation allows me to ignore my confusion in her question.

"Oh? "I never knew that." She turns to face me again in the way that only the elderly turn to either judge or show their brilliance.

"Well?" I insist, seeking some answers from her. "Do you know where they are?"

Her voice is squeaky but sweet when she laughs. "I never knew that two boys were living there. How am I supposed to know their whereabouts?"

I restrain myself from cursing in front of her. "But you must have seen them at some point? They drove themselves to college every day." I keep asking questions. But the lady never scowls or tuts for wasting her valuable time. She maintains her calm and welcoming tone.

"My husband and I only leave the house for a morning walk or when we need groceries. Usually, we just relax in our backyard mini-forest or watch movies. Not really an outgoing people me and my husband. Also, we have no right to keep up with our neighbor's daily routine."

I'm at a loss for words after being introduced to someone's life I've never met before. She knows nothing about me and owes me nothing, but she has revealed personal information with me that I respect.

"All right," I fake a smile of appreciation. "Thanks so much for sharing that. Have a good day ahead."

"Good day, dear."

We return to my house after stalling outside Stefan's place in the hopes of hearing from someone about them

We return to my house after stalling outside Stefan's place in the hopes of hearing from someone about them. I couldn't bring myself to go to the lectures today, and neither could Ray or Tyler.

"I asked Samuel if he had heard from Stefan or Charlie," Ray says, gazing up at me from her seat on the couch. Tyler next to her. "There's no word from them to Samuel either."

I punch the couch and spin around to avoid my friends' worried stares. I rub my face, trying to relax the stiff muscles and nerves there.

I make my way up the staircase into my room, wanting to spend some time alone with myself and the chaos in my thoughts. Stefan's smile is like a sudden beam of delight illuminating the darkest corners of my mind, and it strikes a headache every time I think of that exquisite, heart-fluttering curve of those lips that once traveled all and every part of my body.

I collapse on the staircase and come to a stumbling halt in my steps. Ray rushes to my rescue and helps me in sitting on the steps. Tyler hands me a glass of water, which he has to force me to drink. I realize I am in desperate need of food because I haven't eaten anything since I woke.

I don't try to hide my disbelief in my voice when I say, mostly to myself, "What should I do now? Where did he go? Why did he go? Is he ever going to come back?"

Is he angry? Is he mad because I didn't pick his calls or answer his texts?

Did I hurt him?

The unanswered tornado of questions builds a gut-wrenching pain in me. My chest tightens with unshed tears. But, no matter how hard I try, a single tear escapes the prison of pretense.

Ray sits down beside me and pulls me into a tight hug. It's so tight that it can suck away my hurt and fear. Tyler brushes back my hair from my face. They both stay with me, silently expressing how much they love me and are always there for me.

We called Mae several times like we did Stefan. We asked Christopher for her phone number, which he provided without hesitation. My brother is already clueless about Mae's whereabouts that he can't keep up with Stefan's. He's gone to a job interview where he has a strong chance of being hired.

I told Tyler and Ray about Mae. About everything.

Mae didn't pick up. Neither did Stefan or Charlie.

We are left with no options to contact him. Even if there are other options, I don't see them. Not with my heart's deep ache and ugly bruise.

Why didn't I answer his call when he was so desperate to reach me?

Was he calling to say goodbye?