44. New city, new life

Clara Carter

Another fine day ruined by Mrs. Davis's thousand-year-old vintage car's air-conditioning condenser being repaired and her receiving the same strange looks as she drinks her coffee in the shop owner's office. Just because she has known the owner for many years, she is given free service for her reoccurring air condenser problems. I'm not sure why she continues giving me these glances, though.

I slam the hood of her car shut with a loud bang, causing her to jump in her seat and spill her coffee on her costly floral knee-length dress. I smirk, shaking my head, finding humor in such petty things. Cleaning my hands with a cloth, I watch her stubble in her walk as a result of the heels.

She checks the car to see whether I caused any damage. I wish I could.

"Why don't you work in a restaurant or a shopping mall rather than an automobile repair shop?" The way she says automobile shop, makes me angry. What does she mean by that? Girls shouldn't work where the manpower is required?

I tilt my head at an angle to come out as a mean. Which I do. She gives her hair a flip in overwhelmed nervousness of my stare.

"Then who will repair your AC with caution, for free?" Quite a scene to watch her embarrassed rich face. "And besides, you have men who can explain you, your beautiful aroma of perfumes and take your orders at a restaurant, aren't there?"

Her face turns crimson red with anger and embarrassment. She flips her hair once more and snatches the car keys from me. She's gone with her car before I realize it.

"Now that is what I call a smartass insult." Aston says comings behind me. "Because of her and Sarah's friendship, I've been dealing with her nonsense for years."

The 55-year-old shop owner with grey hair and blue eyes expresses his frustration with the scowl on his face. This shop is owned by him and his wife, Sarah. I met his wife when I initially got here. She is such a kind and witty lady that I forget I work for them.

They both know about my life four years back in Aerilon. Know about him.

I laugh and brush the dust off my black sweatpants. "What are you doing tomorrow? Sarah was planning a dinner for three of us." He suggests. I grab my wristwatch and phone from the table beside.

"I would have loved to join but-" he cuts me off.

"But I have to show up in the library." He finishes the sentence for me, imitating my shrug. My mood lightens, as it always does when I talk to him or his wife.

"See, you've memorized my schedule. Tell Sarah that you don't forget things due to you're young age." After tying the watch around my wrist, I wink. Time flies by so quickly that I didn't realize I was done for the day until it was too late. "Don't miss me. Just two days before I am back to annoy you. Happy weekend." I tell him with a hug.

I dial a number, walking on the sidewalk to go home before being scolded by Christopher for being late.

"Hey, Clara!" Ray beams from the other side of the phone. I imagine the grin she must be wearing right now.

"Hey, I'm on my way home. You guys coming, right?" I ask. I rush up the stairs to my apartment on the fifth floor, skipping a few steps.

My apartment is only 15 minutes away from both of my workplaces-the shop and the library-saving me money and time from using the bus. I work in the shop to help pay my rent and food. Working in the library is what I do for past time. Every weekend, I finish my one-hour-a-day job as a librarian and then read a variety of literature.

Perhaps as a result of my anger and heartbreak, I received a college scholarship. So, college tuition was not an issue. I wanted to live on my own so that I could explore my life and meet new people.

Mom, Dad, and Christopher continue to mock me for avoiding them and working to pay my bills. But I'm not sure why they think I can't live on my own. I love working and living on my own. Nothing bothers me when I go to bed every night.

Nonetheless, Dad frequently transfers money to my account, which I use for entertainment purposes such as purchasing artwork to decorate my walls, beautiful accessories, and my own liquor collection.

"That's why I called." Ray says breaking the chain of my thoughts. Her abrupt change in tone confuses me.

"Why? What happened?" I ask. I decide to wait for the elevator on the second floor since I can't bring myself to walk any further.

Ray, Tyler, and I had decided to have a sleepover at my apartment. Just like we used to have four years ago. Tyler was finally having some downtime between lectures and assignments.

Tyler is in his final year of his master's degree program at Aerilon University, where he aspires to become a doctor. And Ray is still trying to find out what she wants to do with her life, that's what she told us at least. Which her fiancé, Samuel, wholeheartedly supports.

Not to mention that Samuel is now a well-respected police officer in Aerilon. Ironic. I know.

"We're not going to be able to make it today, Clara." As I enter the elevator, Ray says.

"What? Why? We had planned this for a long time." I shout into the phone. How can they not show up? I've been looking forward to this night since we scheduled it last week. I don't see my parents or these two idiots too often. Due to the 15-mile distance between us, meeting them is rather inconvenient.

I subconsciously tighten my grip on the phone. "You know what? Fuck you. I have no interest to see either of you again." I scream and hang up.

The elevator doors open, and I make my way to my apartment with heavy steps. I'm going to get drunk by myself, watch movies, or sleep. I'm not going to talk to those fucking morons. Ever.

As the door takes longer than normal to open, I hiss in frustration.

This isn't the first time we've canceled the plan. So, what's the deal with me feeling left out? As if no one cares about me?

I suppress a sob and fling open the door, marching in.

Shock engulfs me when I discover someone already in my living room.