33. The Drive

Clara Carter

My chest expands with pride. I have to keep the Pierce sibling's work style secret from my best friends. I'll need some time to adjust to Stefan's way of life, and I'll have to ask him whether I can tell my friends everything.

"Are you the luckiest on this damned planet?" After hearing my romantic and ideal date story, Ray teases.

I make a mental note to surprise Stefan with a date, just like he did for our first. How delightful the sight of his shocked face will be when I take him on a date like the one I described now.

"I'm afraid I might just be."

"Samuel proposed me, or more like blurted out when he drove me back home in his car." Ray says, pouting to herself, "Nothing romantic, nothing extraordinary."

"Maybe he was desperate and couldn't hold it in any longer?" I make an effort to cheer her up. Samuel has had a soft spot for Ray since our first day in college, though he never acknowledged or said it until a few weeks ago. Anyone who knows him well sees that he goes out of his way to keep Ray happy and smiling. I'm not sure I would have ever said anything nice about him if it hadn't been for that.

"That reminds me," Ray adds, "Stefan and Samuel are getting along pretty good. Not like 'friends-friends' but few meets and hangouts."

For a brief moment, that astonishes me, but then it makes sense. I inwardly smack myself for not figuring it out sooner. Samuel has gotten himself into some controversy as he's been seen with some bad people. Or should I say, criminals? Of course, Stefan had to help his sister, Mae, with everything he told me about last night. I tighten my hold on the steering wheel and exhale deeply.

"That's good to know." I keep my response short. Ray quickly changes the subject to talk to our third companion, who is sprawled in the backseat.

"Ty, what happened to the girl you were seeing?" Ray asks a question that catches me off guard.

"You are seeing someone?" I ask. Tyler has never been seen with a girl. At least I haven't. Whenever we used to ask him about his love life, he invariably gave us one of two answers: studies or his inability to find someone.

"Was." He corrects while pointing his snickers at me.

"You'd know if you spent more time with us than with your boyfriend." Ray complains. I punch her on the arm. She is, unfortunately, correct. Because of Stefan, I've been away from them for a while.

But not because it was something I wanted to do. With him and me, everything happened so quick that I barely had time to think about them. Or myself really. I know I'll have to make it up to Tyler and Ray based on the glares and taunts they shoot at me.

I give them a tight smile and motion Tyler to respond.

"She dumped me."

"What?" At the same stroke, Ray and I both scream.

"Yeah. . ." Tyler goes on. "I'd been a fool to not see that coming. "'Our relationship won't work', she'd said."

"That bitch," Ray snarls, her arms crossed across her chest. I can't pass judgment on whoever the girl was since I don't know anything about her.

"Hey, don't say anything bad about her." Tyler interjects, "It's not her fault that I wasn't able to give her what she wanted."

I grin at him through the mirror. "Congratulations on hitting puberty, Ty." I taunt him.

He throws an empty water bottle in my direction, which lands on my temple first and then in my lap. I return the favor and I throw it back at him. We all burst into laughter.

It's great to get back on track with my friends. They've always stood up for me when I've needed them the most. I can't afford to lose what I have with them.

Tyler interrupts my thoughts by announcing, "Charlie's having a party tonight at their place." His eyes locked on his phone. "We have been invited."

"How come I didn't receive an invitation?" I ask, lowering my car window to let some fresh air into my face.

"Do you need one?" Tyler sneers. "You must be guest of the honor."

Through the rearview mirror, I shoot a shut-up look at him, which he dodges by sticking his tongue out at me.

"Check your phone." Ray suggests and takes my phone to see if there are any messages. I let her as I can't guarantee if I'll be able to handle both the vehicle and read the message at the same time.

Suddenly, something is thrust in front of my face. Due to the near proximity, my vision becomes clouded, and I lose focus on the road.

"Are you fucking crazy?" I squeak, gaining concentration on the road back. "I would have crashed or collided with something."

"Just type your damn password."

If these people ever give a shit about anything, they wouldn't survive a day.

I groan, forcing my head against the seat to avoid tossing Ray out of the speeding car. I hastily type 'fuckyou' and return to focusing on keeping us alive.

"Ooh. Someone's getting either special gift or laid tonight," Ray sing-songs with an edgy squeal in her voice. I frown at her, but then notice that she is holding my phone.

I steal it back from her. "All you were meant to do was check for a message from Charlie." I state, and I see the open chat window of Stefan's messages.

"What's fun in that?"

I shake my head and read Stefan's texts, which were sent just a few minutes ago.

Stefan: I need that gift so bad, Clara.

Stefan: Hang to your promise.

The last message both confuses and amuses me. How many times do I have to tell him that I will not leave him? I'll say it no matter how many times I have to. Over and over again.

"What promise are we talking about?" Ray wonders aloud.

"Nothing worth sharing." Everything worth my love for him.

She glances out the window and shrugs.

Soon, we are all absorbed in our own thoughts.

What is Stefan doing now? Working out? Showering? Washing dishes, he and Charlie ate in? All of the possibilities are beautiful witness.

I smile to myself and take off my sunglasses to see more of the scenery. Stefan has taken over my thoughts so fast that I can't recall when it all began.

I hear a noise then. A blast. A car explodes and sets on fire.

"Clara, watch out!" Tyler and Ray shout together.

I force my leg on the brakes. Our car comes to a sudden and screeching halt. My heart beats in my throat as I take a quick glance at both of them to ensure their safety before looking ahead.

Something catches my eye. A car is burning a few meters away from us, and a few meters to its left, Stefan is leaning on another car. Shades over his eyes, a cigarette between his lips, and hands tugged in his pant pockets.

 Shades over his eyes, a cigarette between his lips, and hands tugged in his pant pockets