46. Long lost friend

Clara Carter

"Going on a date?"

I turn at the familiar voice of Aston. I smile and put my phone inside my purse so I can attend to him. My short pleated black skirt and brown woolen jumper must have given him the impression. My feet encased in black boots, and my hair let loose that reaches my waist.

I shrug. "Yeah, finally found someone who can deal with my mood swings and tantrums."

Aston joins me on the sidewalk while he waits for the traffic light to turn red and I wait for Mr. Date.

I had no idea I liked Monday dates until today. Just finished my work hours at the repair shop and changed into this outfit in the washroom. Punctuality is my thing. . . apparently.

"Who's the guy?" he asks.

"A wannabe rockstar with tattooed arms and pierced eyebrows and lips."

The parting of Aston's lips with shock amazes me to no extent.

"Just kidding," I push him on the shoulder to break his statue reaction. "A junior at my university. Sweet and softie at heart, gentlemen in behavior."

Aston visibly relaxes as I complete my sentence.

Although Mr. Date possesses more qualities like good at sports and mental maths. The only son of one of the riches in the city. A total boyfriend material.

A black roadster pulls in front of us. The dusky complexion, warm amber eyes with light brown hair caressing his face greets me from behind the wheel.

Brett Stanton.

His beautiful ear-to-ear grin brightens my already happy mood.

He steps out and rounds the car to come near me.

"Hey, there." I sigh at his whispery, deep voice as his arms wrap me in a soft hug.

"Hi, Brett." I whisper back.

He spots Aston scanning him from head to toe. I decide to not make it awkward for any of us and quickly introduce the two men to each other.

"Aston, this is Brett. Brett, this is Aston at whose shop I work."

Brett respectfully nods and extends his hand. I patiently wait for them to exchange a few civil words.

"Take good care of her. You'll have to answer me if I see her hurt, okay?" With a gentle punch to Brett's arm, Aston warns him.

"That would never happen." Brett replies. When I turn to look at him, he is already smiling down at me.

I stare at his beautiful face, flashing an even more beautiful smile, and I wonder why a guy like him has a crush on me.

My university friends told me about it-the way he always looks down at his feet before starting a conversation with me, and how his smile never fades when he's with me.

He asked me out two times before this but it took everything inside me to say yes this time.

It is harder to let go of the past than I thought.

"Shall we, Ms. Clara Carter?"

A chill crawls up my skin. Before it could trigger any emotion in me at the mention of my name that way, I say, "Of course."

And that's when I know-I'm never getting over Stefan.