32. Friends

Clara Carter

"Get your ass in the shower, or I'm going to pour a bucket of water in your face!"

I am startled awake by the sound of a familiar voice, literally shouting in my ears.

A piece of cloth lands on my face before I can fully open my eyes, followed by another.

"Ray!" I cry, shoving the clothes aside so I can see my two best buddies roaming around in my room, giddy and energetic, as if on some booze in the early morning.

"The hell are you guys doing here?" My voice is hoarse and grumpy as I ask.

The clothes that were thrown at my face were denim shorts and a black T-shirt. Stefan's T-shirt.

I glance at the digital clock on my nightstand, 10:00 am.

While Ray is busy critiquing my clothes, Tyler says, "Will give you the deets later. First, get dressed and showered and meet us outside the house."

Stefan: I love you

Stefan: I love you

Stefan's dramatization of the first-time fallen in love boy is almost unbelievable. I smile and shake my head as I read his message, which came shortly after midnight. I text him back.

Me: Look forward for your gift

I didn't get much time to talk to my parents or Christopher after Stefan left last night. Before my friends take over my fine Sunday day of sloth, I decide to say a brief "good mornings."

I knock and turn the knob on Christopher's door. I enter my brother's room and am greeted with the familiar sight of him seated with a book on his study table. It was in this room that I learned about my brother's undeniably strong and crazy girlfriend, as well as how Stefan's family worked which would take me another 24 hours to digest the facts.

"Morning, Sunshine." My brother greets, his eyes bright with laughter and a warm smile. He appears to be more at ease with the situation than I am.

"Morning," I respond as I sit quietly on his bed. He swivels his chair around to face me. "Did you tell Mom and Dad?" I ask.

"I did."

"How did they take it?"

"Pretty good, actually." He nods and hands me his French toast, which I'd been eyeing since I entered his room. If I wanted part of his meal on a normal day, I'd have to snatch a piece from his plate, but it seems he's grown up enough to share it with his sister. Or maybe he just wants something from me.

Either way, I take my time to eat while he explains, "It took a lot of explanation and assurance of our—" he gestures between the two of us, "—safety for them to allow us to be around the Pierce siblings."

Since last night, I'd been afraid that my parents would hate Stefan and refuse to accept him as my. . . boyfriend.

I smile inwardly as I think of Stefan's new pronoun when I give him his birthday gift today.