Ch. 33: The Beach

The Beach- The Neighbourhood

"If I told you that I loved you. Tell me, what would you say? If I told you that I hated you. Would you go away? Now I need your help with everything that I do. I don't want to lie, I've been relying on you. Fallin' again, I need a pick-me-up. I've been callin' you friend, I might need to give it up. I'm sick and I'm tired too. I can admit, I am not fireproof. I feel it burning me. I feel it burning you. I hope I don't murder me. I hope I don't burden you. If I do, I do. If I meet you in the middle maybe we could agree. You make me feel little how you're looking at me, and you can throw me shade, all it does is just cool me off. First it just threw me off, now I'm just moving on."

--

Dawn P.O.V.

He traces aimlessly into my skin, laying in the opposite direction, caressing my leg in a solace way. And I stare back at him, trying to give answers and reason, but nothing comes. I don't know what to do or how to mend his broken spirit. I know we should not avoid the problems, but I also want to savor this moment alone with Jake. Everything happened so fast, and now there's this pause of worry. Terry has destroyed Jake with either lies or bitter truth, and I'm stuck trying to fix my relationship with Reese and dealing with Dawson, but I can't focus on either. I must be here for Jake. I sit up from where I rest, "It isn't healthy to stay cooped up in this room," I admit.

He glances for a moment, but still, he continues his traces along my goosebumps, "Probably."

"We have options," my mind working for alternatives than just ripping the rest of each other's clothes off, "We can either go to Jeff's and demand answers," he stops his movement and grasps my leg lightly, "We can go back home, or whatever hotel Terry is at and-"

"Fuck no," he glares, tightening his grasp on me.

"Or," I sit up more, straightening my leg from his grasp. "We shut off our phones, get dressed, and go to the beach. Forget the bullshit. Forget your brother, uncle, all of it, and relax for the day. That is if you let your mind relax."

He tilts his head, thinking to himself before granting me a soft smile. I lean in and peck his lips before swinging my legs off the bed. "I just have to swing by the dorm rooms and get a swimsuit." I also must give Lana and Ben the heads up of my absence. Since Jake and I are unofficially back together, I need to tell him my plan against Dawson; this is only fair. I'm sure he has some idea that I've concocted something, but of what and the topic has yet to be known.

We both dress, and we head down to the Uni, his hand does not relent mine, and I let his fingers claim mine. This is until we are in the parking lot, I can tell he wants to follow me in, but I want to talk to Lana, and it's best he stays in the car.

"Why?" he asks, "hiding me?"

"No," I stroke his cheek, "I'm just going to be quick, and knowing Lana, she will ask 21 questions. I called her last night, letting her know I won't be home, I mentioned a little bit of the wedding, and I don't want you to feel uncomfortable."

"Okay," he doesn't fight me. Instead, he reels me into another kiss. I exit the car, running up to my dorm hall.

Ben is sprawled across the floor as I enter my dorm room, and Kelly and Lana cuddle on her bed. Lana is awake, scratching her scalp as she sits up from Kelly's embrace.

"Why is Ben still here?" I step over him as his snore heightens slightly. I rummage through my dresser, scavenging for my one and only bathing suit.

"He fell asleep while we were watching a movie. Where are you going?" her brows raise at my sudden movements.

"Like I said last night. The wedding was shit, so I got to be there for Jake."