Ch. 37: Run the World

Run the World (Girls)- Beyonce

"My persuasion can build a nation. Endless power with our love we can devour. You'll do anything for me. Who run the world? Girls."

Dawn POV

It's taken everything in me not to change my name and run away. These are significant steps and a plan that I have been concocting for months now. But still, I'm hesitant in where I stand because this can end in so many different outcomes. Who am I to confront another woman's experience? Maybe Isa has never experienced anything with Dawson, but if we inform her at least what type of monster he is, she can do what she will with this information.

Serena is here, standing near Lana. I introduced her to my little crew, it was awkward, and I could tell she was a little peeved by exploiting her experience. I never told them the name of Dawson's victim, but they aren't stupid. It was a bit unspoken. Why would some random girl that I've never spoken about appear now?

I didn't know how else to go about it, but here we are. Standing across at the local coffee grinds. Where only about a month ago, I sat across from Serena, and the world shifted. Where I was on her side rather than any other. She doubts me; I know she does. But I'm all's she's got in the corner.

"Are you sure she's even going to show up?" Serena blows her gum obnoxiously. Her lip gloss was not budging somehow.

"I don't know," I admit, thinking back to last night's mental breakdown.

...

"I'm so sick and tired of lying to everyone for my benefit." I shriek, trying to calm my nerves, but all I do is cheat. I know Ben was willing to change his profile and get to know Isa and force an acquaintanceship, but this is her trauma, if she has any. I won't demand answers that aren't mine to give. This revelation is something under the surface. Something that I've been digging at and ignoring. This is the old Dawn, where she only cared about herself, and it didn't matter who else would be affected.

"Babes, relax. You aren't doing anything illegal," Lana mentions, putting her arms out as a way to ease my mind for an embrace.

"Morally, is a bit blinded," her partner Kelly jabs as she aimlessly eats cereal on Lana's bed. Lana elbows them, "Ouch," they rub the sore spot.

"So what do you want to do? I already have the text written to meet up with her. You'll ambush her, and you exploit Dawson and ask her if she had anything similar." Ben says.

"Kelly is right; it's not moral, not even the slightest. I feel like I'm going to be sick."

"Woah, hold on; we are in way too deep to pull out now," Ben's ears begin to redden. I can tell he's annoyed, considering he was the one to text Isa and lie directly to her. He did all the dirty work, and another cloud of guilt lands on my shoulders.

"I need, I need--," I hiccup, "I think I'm having a panic attack."

I can barely hear Lana, but I think she's asking Ben for my cellphone. She knows my password, and it takes me a second to realize I'm crouching on the floor. Lana stands right next to me and holds my phone to my ear. It's ringing. Who—

"Hey, baby," Jake's voice fills my head.

I press my thumb and index finger to my eyes, putting pressure. I hold the phone tightly against my ear. I stand up straight and walk out of my dorm room, leaving the gang to gawk at my stature.

"What's wrong?" Jake asks after I don't respond after a minute. "Love? Dawn?"

"I'm here," I gasp for air, sitting on a bench in the hallway.