Ch 41: Lust for Life

Lust for Life- Lana Del Rey ft: The Weeknd

Take off, take off, take off all of your clothes. They say only the good die young. That just ain't right 'cause we're having too much fun, too much fun tonight, yeah, and a lust for life, and a lust for life, and a lust for life, and a lust for life. Keeps us alive, keeps us alive.

--

Jake drives in silence, glancing every so often at the back seat. One by one, we drop off Issy and Serena. Issy hugs me tightly, thanking me.

"Please leave me out of the rest," she whispers. What we did to Dawson was extremely illegal, so I don't blame her.

"Please don't tell anyone," I say.

"Mhmm," she hums.

I pull from our embrace, and I begin to furrow my brows.

"I have a guilty conscious," she admits, shrugging her shoulders.

"Same, but this was the right thing for us. Don't be afraid to call if you ever need someone to talk to about anything. Okay?"

She nods before giving me a quick kiss on my cheek. "Thank you, Dawn Rivers."

I blush before giving her a final squeeze. She walks up to her porch and into her house.

Serena is next. It's a brief exchange, but I don't expect much. We can only take each other in dosages. Maybe in a different life, we could have been friends. But she's Jake's ex. I know it still hurts her. She tries to hide it, but she always manages to fail.

"See you around, Rivers, or should I say future Mrs. Dennings," she smirks with an eye roll. She salutes me before throwing a peace sign. In translation, 'thank you, wheda."

"Bye, Serena."

The next stop is Alice's house, but she looks in the rearview mirror before we turn into her street. "Dawn?"

I connect my eyes with hers. I have this hidden rage underneath the surface. It's towards Jake, but with Alice's continual petty comments, I'm beginning to focus my anger on her."

"I'm kind of hungry. Want to ditch Jake and get some food?"

"No," I blurt out. I didn't mean to be so blunt.

"I'll treat," she says, turning to face me. A wiggle of her brows softens my mood.

Free food. Alice must feel terrible if she's stooping to my weakness.

"Fine, but you are driving."

"You heard the lady," Alice says to Jake.

He says nothing, nodding only.

Jake drops us off at Alice's house. She's the first to jump out of the car, and I hear her mumbling that she is going to invite Reese as well. I don't object because I know if it were just Alice and me, it might get awkward depending on how the conversation goes.

Jake hasn't spoken a word to me, and I don't expect him to. He's in his head. He could be peeved by my response to his Underground proposal, or maybe he thinks I'm right about it. I get out of the car and tap on Jake's window from outside.

He rolls it down but keeps his head forward.

I crouch so we are at eye level. "I know we are mad at each other-"

"I'm not mad," he clarifies, his tone even, "I just know what I want."

"Okay, well, I'll be mad for the both of us. I'm pissed the fuck off, but I don't want to argue, and I don't want to just leave the car without saying a proper goodbye."