Chapter 2: Hands worn through from the sludge

🥀YOONGI🥀

The rain was hitting my face. It was supposed to be cold, but I couldn't feel it.

My eyes were turned to the dark sky, barely able to see.

What's wrong boy?

I coughed and felt the copper taste on my tongue. My hands touched the skin on my abdomen. I could smell the rain and the blood. It was hard to breathe, hard to keep my eyes open.

Cat got your tongue?

My arms were heavy. The skin on my left arm felt tight and dry, even though I was laying under the pouring rain. The bags of trash I was on propped me up into a half-sitting, half laying down position from where I could only see a glimpse of the van that dumped me over here.

My head felt light as if I had just inhaled a good amount of helium, and the cold sensation was slowly abandoning my body. I knew I was dying, but I didn't want to, so my burned hand grabbed onto the plastic trash bag, trying to bring myself up.

But it was a pathetic attempt. All I did was knock over the trash bin beside me, making a loud noise that seemed to echo in the alleyway even under the heavy rain.

I gasped, clutching my chest. It was so hard to breathe.

Maybe it would be better to give up. I had postponed my encounter with death a long time ago. Perhaps now it was the time.

A flash of light got my attention at the end of the alley. My heart would have beaten faster if it wasn't growing weaker with each pulse.

Yellow eyes were glowing at me. White teeth flashed in my direction. The rain hit its black fur as it kept walking under the shadows, becoming one with the darkness, turning into two pairs of eyes fluctuating in the air.

The wolf's breath condensed in the air and I felt the hairs on my arms standing up because I remembered seeing that creature as those men had their fun with me.

Back then, I wished it would have killed me. It would have been faster.

"Please," I choked on my own blood.

I didn't know if I was begging it to kill me or to let me live.

That was when I heard the sound of a metal door opening. Light filled the alleyway.

I blinked hard, trying to not let the wolf out of my sight, but as soon as I did it, it vanished, as if it never existed.

I heard the faint sound of rain hitting on an umbrella and a light voice cursing over all the noise.

I moved my head as best as I could, choking on more blood. I reached out my hand to the silhouette holding a red umbrella.

I saw it when the person turned around. They jumped, startled by my presence. After hesitating, they approached.

"아저씨 (Sir), are you okay?"

It was a girl.

The street lamp post chose this time to light up. Her eyebrows were scrunched up as she came near me, carefully assessing my situation, probably thinking I was just an old man that had too much to drink.

My left hand touched my abdomen again where I could feel myself losing blood, and with my other, I tried to reach for her.

At some point she gasped, finally noticing my situation. The umbrella slipped from her hand and the yellow street light illuminated her face, showing her white complexion and wide eyes.