Chapter 34: Behold a pale horse in my gaze

🥀YOONGI🥀

I probably should have started drinking water as soon as Yun did, but I didn't give up on my soju.

Before my death, I never got drunk enough to not remember what I did the night before. No, that was my brother. He got drunk and I covered for him.

But now that I had literally met death, I figured a hangover the next morning wouldn't be able to bring me down. So I drank more, smacking my lips, feeling the liquid go down my throat once again as I felt Yun's eyes on me.

She had been observing me closely since my breakdown a few minutes ago, her watchful eyes capturing every single movement I made as if she expected me to snap again.

The voice in my head became louder, and louder every time I heard Hobi pressing me to talk about something I didn't feel comfortable sharing.

When I was a mere human, I would have probably shut him down by being cold, or simply saying no, but now every word he said seemed to set me off, and the voice suddenly occupied my mind in a way that I never felt before.

It wasn't as much a voice as it was a presence. It scared the shit out of me, and I could feel myself mentally wincing away from that feeling. That was when I snapped, and I spoke words that I didn't will myself to say, but they were said anyway.

If it wasn't for the alcohol, I would probably be in the guest room, lying down without actually being able to sleep, thinking over and over again that I should have told Hobi that I was indeed hearing a voice. But I knew I wouldn't be able to tell him the truth because every time I thought about it, I felt the wave of fear and paranoia approaching me, ready to engulf and drown me.

He would betray me. They would take Yun away from me. Something terrible would happen to her or to me if I told him the truth.

And now I didn't know if those thoughts were coming from my paranoia or myself.

So I kept drinking under Yun's scrutiny, ignoring her when she told me I should stop, which honestly didn't do much anyway because I had just downed the last bottle she bought.

Hobi was still here, hands in his pockets, walking the whole extension of the room over and over again like a tiger trapped inside a cage.

They both looked at me when I chuckled. Hobi didn't look like a tiger at all. If he was an animal he would probably be something small. Like a squirrel.

Since the alcohol left me feeling numb to all my fears, the thought of Hobi being a squirrel was suddenly very funny which made me laugh with myself while I leaned back on the couch and looked at the ceiling.

"I'm going to take a shower." I heard Yun say.

A shower sounded nice.

Her taking a shower sounded even nicer.

I saw her walk to her room and I kept looking at the ceiling. The light in the room was yellow, which made the ambient a little darker than usual. I guessed she needed someone to change the light bulb for one that would cast a white light.

My house used to be so white.

Before it burned down in ashes, that is.

A hand appeared above my eyes, interrupting my vision and making me go cross-eyed

"Drink." He said. Short and brief.

I held the glass with two hands, thinking for a second that it would be more soju, but the lack of taste told me it was just water. I drank it with a grimace.