Chapter 16: No, I am not built of the same

YUN

I looked at my cereal bar ruefully. It was supposed to taste like strawberry and chocolate, but the thing felt like sawdust inside my mouth as I chewed with a sour face. At least the coffee tasted better than it usually did.

"What's with the face?" Soyeong asked, throwing me a glance over the rim of her mug.

I looked at my cereal, its lack of taste was only part of why I still wore my unpleasant face.

Shortly after Yoongi came back, I was off to work again, my back hurt, and my muscles were as tired as if I'd spent the entire night carrying heavy boxes around. Sleep hadn't brought me any comfort at all because my dreams were filled with afflictions and worries. Where was he? What was he doing? Was he in danger? Should I even be this worried about him considering he was, as Hobi had told me, a supernatural being?

The fact that I didn't have answers to any of those questions made me wake up startled numerous times during the night. When I finally woke up to the sound of light footsteps, and I saw that Yoongi was in fact hurt, with a deep gash on his cheek that he didn't seem to feel until I touched it, my heart felt heavy.

I noticed how he suddenly became stiff as I treated his wound. He must not be used to being touched like that anymore - with care and gentleness - since before his life completely changed. While I prepared to go to work, I felt his eyes on me the entire time, following me like the needle of a compass follows the north.

As for me, even though I wasn't looking directly at him, I just knew where he was in the room, felt his presence. And that started to scare the shit out of me. I was also sure that a hug wasn't supposed to be that...intense.

My heart skipped a beat when I remembered how his fingers buried themselves into my skin. His breath on my neck-

"Yun, why are you blushing?" Soyeong looked at me inquisitively, and a bit annoyed. I hadn't answered her question.

I shook my head, blinking quickly. Indeed, my cheeks felt hot.

Bringing my hands against my cheeks to cool them down, I said, "It's nothing."

"Doesn't look like nothing," my colleague commented, getting up and taking her mug to the sink of the resting room we were in. She leaned against it, crossing her arms in front of her chest, "It looked like you were having sex flashbacks."

I scoffed, hands still on my cheeks. That was definitely not it. I was blushing over a hug, which was far more absurd.

Why did he affect me so much? Was it because I was supposed to take care of him as Hobi said?

I knew I had a crush on him in my teenage years, but this was ridiculous. He was a man now, and a completely different person from the boy I used to watch playing the piano.

Then why does he still feel like my safe place? I shook the thought away from my mind, lightly slapping my own cheeks.

"Is it Minho?" Soyeong guessed, giving me a mischievous look.

My eyebrows shot up when she said my ex's name. Sex with Minho was good, but not enough to make me have those kinds of flashbacks.

"We broke up," I said flatly.

I dated Minho for almost two years. It was amazing, and then it wasn't. I felt like there was something missing, and after the first year, the relationship didn't seem to be going anywhere. We had to make an almost physical effort to see each other and our time together just wasn't as fun anymore.

Mom had been heartbroken when I told her I wasn't dating Minho anymore. She really liked him.

"Oh?" She looked genuinely surprised with the information, "Then who are you going to my wedding with? I had invited you and Minho."