Chapter 30: That nature of the beast that feeds upon the will to numb it

🥀YOONGI🥀

It took me some convincing for her to leave me alone. 

When I heard the metal door closing, my shoulders sagged and I had to hold the parapet to support myself as to not fall on my knees.

I knew they were dead already, but something about knowing how they had been treated after their final moments in this world, knowing that it had been violent and that those monsters had defiled their bodies, filled me with even more rage than before.

Their bodies had been burned. The act was surely intended to send a message, but to whom? To me? Did they know the person they left for dead in that alley was alive and way stronger than they could ever imagine?

"You should make them pay. All of them."

"I should kill all of them," I said out loud, agreeing with the voice. It seemed to be the only thing that truly understood the agony I was facing.

All I could see when I closed my eyes was how they must look right now. Burned to a crisp, crumbling into ashes, mouths open wide in muted screams.

How long had Yun known about that? Why did Hobi look like he didn't want me to know? Why were they whispering inside that room?

"He keeps things from you."

My nails scratched the concrete on the parapet, and I nodded to myself. I knew he kept things from me.

Hobi kept all my memories from me, only giving them back one at a time to 'make it easier', but I doubted that was the only reason. On my way back to Yun's apartment, the voice reminded me Hobi also didn't tell me that I got more physically powerful in my reaper form. 

He didn't tell me I would be able to feel no pain. Didn't tell me I would feel no fear.

And he told me to not get close to Yun, but didn't give me a reason. Now I caught them whispering secrets to each other when they didn't know I was listening.

One part of my brain was telling me that Yun decided to reveal what they were talking about, but the other was making me question if she would tell me if I hadn't caught them in the act.

No. Yun was good. She was kind, maybe too kind to someone who didn't deserve it.

"He wants her too."

I felt myself recoil, nails digging into the concrete. He could want her, but he couldn't have her.

He was an angel and she was human, which complicated things. He couldn't even touch her.

But I noticed how he looked at her. Hobi would offer me kind eyes, but when he looked at her there was something aside protectiveness in it, above admiration, and far over devotion. 

Something too close to love.

"He doesn't want you with her."

"Stop," I demanded, covering my ears with my hands, but knowing it would be of no use.