Chapter 10: I feel the ground tremble and quake

🥀YOONGI🥀

Yun searched blindly for the light switch and after some seconds of staring into the complete darkness of the room, the white bulbs showered it with light. It was small, the wall opposite to the door filled with bookcases stacked with books covering a myriad of subjects. From medicine to astrology, to silly pocket-size joke books. The last one made me raise my eyebrows a tad bit. Yun didn't strike me as being one to tell dad jokes during gatherings.

The role of bookcases got interrupted by a small window that had its curtains open, offering the amazing view of the brick wall of its neighboring building. The windowsill was painted red, but the lack of maintenance got me seeing the original white color underneath. To my left, there was a small desk with a closed notebook on it - not the same one I had seen the day before. Under the window, there was a rolled-up sleeping bag and two well-folded blankets laying over an old rug.

She must have caught me looking at them because she said, "I keep those around for Dalmi. She likes to crash here sometimes when she isn't...feeling well," her hesitation made me feel like there were more occasions where Dalmi 'didn't feel well' than she'd like to admit, but that that information would be kept safely away from my knowledge.

But only when I turned my eyes to the far right side of the room I was really surprised. Against the wall, almost hiding, even though it was considerably big and under the light of the room, there was a small black piano. The closed lid and a bit of dust covered its white and black keys away from my eyes.

Once again my heart clenched upon seeing yet another thing that reminded me of my life from before. I had one of those in the basement and the fact that it must have burned down with the rest of my house made me swallow hard.

I tried averting my eyes but Yun noticed, looking at the instrument and back at me with a furrowed brow. Something flashed behind her eyes but it went away before I could define what it was.

"Do you play?" She asked casually entering the room going towards the sleeping bag.

I cleared my throat before answering, "I used to. Do you?" I asked, but I knew the answer just by looking at the layers of dust resting over the unpolished surface. I didn't want to make this about me. I didn't trust myself to disclose any more information after my breaking down some minutes ago.

"I used to." She said, showing me a small smile, finding some fun in using my words against me, "But I wasn't good," she rolled out the sleeping bag, hitting it lightly with her open hand, "My dad taught me this one song he wrote for me, and that is pretty much how far my repertoire goes."

She laughed at herself, sitting on her calves taking some time to look at the abandoned instrument, "You can play if you want," she suggested unfolding a blanket.

I could clean it and tune it first, I responded in my head, "I don't think your neighbors would appreciate that."

She snorted, shaking her head, "I'd be surprised if they could hear you playing. They can barely hear their own bell when it rings." She got up, smoothing down her clothes.

She turned around and pointed to the notebook on the table, "Feel free to use the internet if you want," she walked past me putting some loose strands behind her ears, and told me to stay put as she went towards her room.

When she came back, Yun extended both her hands to me, "Here. Hobi left your belongings in my room before you left this morning."

I lowered my eyes to the objects in her hands while I tried to avoid the embarrassment I was feeling again. She gave me my wallet, and my phone which had the screen cracked. "Before I forget," she reached inside her jeans pocket and pulled out my ID, "I had your ID back at the hospital, but there's another one inside your wallet."