Chapter 22: Like I've been changed more ways than one

YUN

"Okay," I let go of the spoon I was holding, and the metal clanked against the white porcelain, spilling a bit of the hangover soup over the coffee table, "On a scale of 1 to 10, how embarrassing was I?"

Yoongi had his cheeks full when I asked the question, spoon still inside his mouth. His eyes were small, sleep still lingered in the way he took a bit longer than normal to blink. The white t-shirt he wore to sleep was a bit loose, showing the pale skin where his neck met his shoulder.

He lifted his hand and ran it through his messy bleached hair, the collar of his shirt slipping down to show his collarbone.

He looked at me intently for a few seconds as if he was considering something.

"I have seen worse," he declared, swallowing the food. His voice was thick from sleep.

I grunted, stabbing the bowl of rice with my spoon, "You didn't answer my question."

He picked kimchi with his chopsticks, taking his sweet time to say something else that would make me feel less embarrassed.

"Five," he said suddenly, taking a generous gulp of his glass of water.

My lips stretched into a pained smile. I was thinking that five wasn't all that bad while I stared at the TV without really paying attention to what I was supposed to be watching when I thought back on how I wasn't wearing my dress when I woke up.

Kimchi dangled from my chopsticks as I grabbed it firmly, feeling my cheeks heating up.

"I didn't see you naked if that's what you're worried about," he commented, stretching his arm to reach the bowl of rice. Yoongi wasn't looking at me while he said that, "I brought you your clothes, and you changed into them yourself."

I could feel my mouth agape while I stared. He slurped loudly on his soup, nonchalant like he was talking about the weather. Yoongi seemed completely unfazed while he talked about my potential drunk nakedness.

"After freaking out because you thought you were stuck in the dress, that is," he added, looking at me, and leaning his elbow on his bent knee.

I knew my expression was confused as fuck, but he didn't laugh. Instead, he kept a straight face while he chewed on a piece of meat.

"What do you mean?" I asked for clarification, already knowing I'd regret the answer.

"You thought there was no zipper, so I had to open it for you," Yoongi averted his eyes as he spoke, seeming very interested in his spoon.

I was feeling uneasy. It was like he knew something and wasn't telling me on purpose. The atmosphere between us wasn't awkward, but it felt heavy. Like he had suddenly built a wall between us, and I couldn't reach through.

For the first time, it really felt like I was living with a stranger, someone I didn't know that well and should be wary of. I didn't like that feeling.

I should have felt embarrassed about my supposed breakdown over the lack of zipper on my dress last night, but the bitterness in my mouth and that odd feeling of strangeness in the back of my mind prevented me from going into what could have been a fun banter between us.

"Thank you, I guess," I could hear the coldness in my voice as I reached for the remote control to get the volume of the TV up, just to drown the silence the rest of lunch would be in, right before he grunted something under his breath.

My leg started bouncing, even as I was sitting with my legs crossed while I tried to watch the TV.

"–When a student discovered a dead body. The witness claims he was coming back from school when they stumbled upon what they thought was a bunch of clothes on the ground by the riverbank," the image showed a bridge and a shallow river running under it. Then it changed to show a video of the man I recognized from a few days ago. The face that sent Yoongi into a panic attack was on-screen again, "The forensic team analyzed the body and confirmed it was indeed Han Sae-Hee, the arsonist that has been on the run. Reports say he has been dead for more than two days–"