Chapter 15: I am both man and brigade

🥀YOONGI🥀

The trip back to Seoul had me exhausted. My time awake was filled with me panicking over the feeling that I was being watched though no one was looking at me, and I was sitting at the far back next to the window.

When I tried to sleep during the train ride, every time I closed my eyes, I could see Sae-Hee's face paralyzed in horror, and the way he clawed at his neck while he struggled to get some air inside his lungs.

I did that. I killed a man.

Even though I had no literal blood in my hands, I felt wrong, dirty, and heavy.

Yes, you killed him but how many lives have you saved because he is dead? That was a question I had no answer to. Maybe only Death would be able to tell me how many people I prevented from dying earlier because Sae-Hee left this world for good.

It was still 5 am when I finally got off the train.

With eyes cast to the floor, I once again forced the brim of my cap down, fixing the mask covering my face right after. The cut on my cheek throbbed painfully as the material brushed against it.

The sun was just coming up behind clouded skies, so I decided not to go straight to Yun's apartment. Aside from being too early to wake her up, I still needed to buy myself some clothes. The only ones I had right now were those that we found at the hospital; the shirt, pants, and jacket Yun got from her friend. The cap I was wearing was also a recent acquisition; I'd bought it just before boarding the train to Wonju.

So after some time, I was going back to Yun's place, my backpack heavy with clothing and my hands carrying more bags than I ever thought I would. I never really liked shopping, but I didn't have a choice now.

This time the doorman let me in. I guessed Yun got me authorization to come and go as I pleased.

Knowing the floor I should go to, I entered the elevator, and when it dinged indicating I was on the fifth floor, the door opened, I almost bumped into someone on their way to go down the stairs.

The person stepped back immediately and grabbed the banisters with both hands, so they wouldn't lose balance. I couldn't exactly help since I had my hands full, but I still stepped out of the elevator and stretched my arm, way slower than normal because of all the contents inside the bags to try and avoid an accident.

When the person looked back at me, I recognized Dalmi. She had just recovered her balance and her eyes were staring at me.

Actually, it was more like she was looking in my general direction. Her eyes seemed to be scanning my face, not able to stay in one specific feature for too long before she averted her gaze elsewhere.

Is this why people are not able to recognize me? I asked myself, while I murmured an apology and followed to the end of the corridor.

I felt Dalmi following me with her eyes, but she didn't say anything. Soon I heard her steps receding in the distance, and I stared at the door.

I didn't have Yun's number - something I made a mental note to ask before she left for work today - so I couldn't text her that I would be back earlier than expected, but I also didn't want to ring the bell and risk waking her up before time.

I listened carefully for a minute to see if I could identify any noise inside the apartment that would indicate she was already up, but all I heard was silence.

She had shown me where she kept her spare key, since she'd managed to lose 3 copies of it in three months. The frame around the switch that worked as her doorbell was loose,, so I used the tip of my fingers to move it a few centimeters away from the wall. Soon, I felt the cold metal slide to the palm of my hand.