Chapter 35: Truth in what you are an oath of life to which I've sworn

🥀YOONGI🥀

My conversation with Yun kept replaying in my head as I willed my heart to stop stuttering every time I thought of how close I had been to tasting her lips again.

Her words were swirling inside my head as I stared at the ceiling.

"Only if you ask for it."

And I wanted to. So bad.

As soon as I heard her say that, aside from the pang of embarrassment that I felt with turning my words being used against me, the first thought that came to my mind was to just be done with it.

I would ask for it. I would bruise my knees for her, for all I cared, if only that meant she would have me. Still, part of my brain started listing the reasons it wouldn't be fair to do that to her. To us. Why it would only make things worse, and how I already got what I needed just by being close enough.

The remaining alcohol in my body couldn't be the only reason I felt so dizzy laying down. So many thoughts were swirling inside my head that I couldn't choose to focus on just one for too long, but I noticed my wants and needs were a recurring theme in almost everything I was thinking about for now.

Then came my internal conflict again. One moment I would be telling myself that we could just enjoy whatever we could have for the moment and that I should get up, go to her room and ask her for what I wanted. Still, then I would think back on how I was taken over by overwhelming contempt as Hobi questioned me, and how I felt distant from my own body.

I feared losing control to whatever was inside my head while Yun was near me.

But she was the one bringing me back from the dissociation. Her voice was what I heard, like a whisper carried by the wind. Just like I heard it when I was supposed to have made my passage to whatever happened after we die.

She would always bring me back.

But-

Frustrated with myself, I exhaled a long sigh, and searched for my phone by my side, knowing I found it when my fingers grazed over the cracked screen. I squinted my eyes against the light as the display showed me I had been overthinking for about three hours already.

My fingers wandered over the cracks that formed a spider-web-like pattern on the top left of the screen as I remembered, bitterly impressed, with the fact that my executioners not only thought of leaving my ID with me, but also gave me back my phone which, of course, had been switched off for the entirety of my "stay" in the cottage house.

That's how bad they wanted me to be found.

Analyzing now, I'd never stopped to think about how long I had been at that place.

The issue was that those people had strange, and sadistic ways to send their message across. The police had been investigating Blood Harbor for years, but after my father's death, it came to a halt. If it was because they grew too scared of what the gang could do or because they lost hope of dismantling them for good, I didn't know. So I doubted they would still be targeting the police force.

I blindly scrolled through my phone, listening to songs at low volume, waiting patiently for my brain to decide to shut off. The third song was about to end when my eyes caught sight of my family name as I scrolled up.

BREAKING NEWS: Min's family remains to be buried in their hometown. Younger sibling has still not been found.

Almost faster than the words could register, I clicked on the link. As soon as the page loaded, I scanned through the article.