Chapter 31: Bloodshed to that order like a flower to a thorn

YUN

When I was 10, I told my mother I wanted to be a veterinarian. That I wanted to take care of wounded animals. But I wasn't going for the easy ones like cats and dogs. I was obsessed with animals that were bigger than humans. Crocodiles, elephants, lions, tigers. In my innocent childish mind, I thought all of them would simply let me take care of them if I told them I wanted to help.

That is until my mother told me that most animals get aggressive when they are wounded and that they were probably twice as dangerous when in pain.

My mother was never the sensitive type, so she didn't think she was probably traumatizing me back then, but I was thinking about that as I walked down the stairs to my apartment after leaving Yoongi alone.

When I got to my door, it hit me. My mother had always been right.

Wounded animals were dangerous because they snapped at whoever would come close to them. They felt vulnerable, and scared, so aggression was their default defense mechanism.

Yoongi was hurting, and terrified like a wounded animal. I remembered how his eyes flashed black just a few minutes ago, and how I wanted to turn around and run away. But I also remembered how my very nature stopped me from listening to my own survival instincts.

Aggression was his coping mechanism just like bites and scratches would be the weapon for a tiger in pain.

I rested my forehead against the door before going in. Was I excusing the bad actions I know he committed? It certainly felt like it.

I still had no idea what kind of atrocities those who kidnapped him had put him through, but judging by how they had disposed of the bodies of Yoongi's family, my mind could just wonder about the horrors he chose not to share with me.

But did it justify taking lives as a form of justice? I was a doctor. My job was to save people from death. I had no time to know if my patients were good or bad people, and it was my duty was to help them despite their actions.

However, I recalled one time I was treating a woman in the emergency room. She had bruises all over her and a gash on her left eyebrow. I made one of the residents take her husband, who had a broken wrist, out of the room so I could ask her what I already knew.

Her husband's broken wrist had been a result of a punch he missed, and hit a wall instead. So he and his broken wrist sat in the waiting room as I asked if his wife wanted to call the police.

She refused, and there was absolutely nothing else I could do about it. But I found a way in the end. When her husband got in to get treated, I saw his painful expression. But I made sure it hurt while I stabilized his wrist in a cast, and told him to shut up and stop whining.

And lastly, I remembered how I hesitated to save that man while he convulsed in front of me, because I knew what he had done.

So while I thought about my own actions, I just couldn't find a place in me to blame Yoongi for his, mainly when there are so many paranormal elements involved.

I mean, I was brought up in a religion where God would allegedly send his wrath upon his own children because they didn't act the way they were supposed to, and society took it as something to be expected from an all-knowing entity.

So how could I judge Yoongi, an agent being used by infinitely more powerful creatures, for doing what he was told he should do to the terrible people who brought him to this situation in the first place.

"Are you banging your head against the door?"

"Shibal (Fuck)!" I grabbed my chest with one hand and the doorknob with the other, startled, as I looked up at Dalmi. She was standing next to me, eyebrows raised questioningly as if she hadn't just sneaked up on me.