Chapter 9: I feel the war paint on my face

🥀YOONGI🥀

"What's the apartment number?" A voice came from the intercom.

I opened my mouth but had no answer to that question. I hadn't paid that much attention to my surroundings the night before, I was too freaked out about the fact that I had just come back to the land of the living.

The only reason why I was standing in front of the right building was because Hobi had pointed me in the right direction for I didn't even bother to look at the name of the street we were at when I left a few hours ago. I didn't think I would be coming back.

I looked over my shoulder, expecting to see Hobi but he had vanished again. I swear he was trying to teach me a lesson by leaving me like this without telling me information as important as her apartment number.

Sighing, I turned on my heels, ready to give up until Hobi showed up again to tell me the answer, but I ended up colliding with someone as soon as I did.

My arms automatically extended, grabbing the victim of my clumsiness to make sure they wouldn't fall to the ground.

"I'm sor-"

She shook her hair off of her face but a few strands still mingled over her moist plump lips. Her hands closed around my arms as well to secure herself in place, a white bag that was dangling on her hand swaying back and forth, hitting my thigh.

Yun stared at me with her big brown eyes, her surprised expression melting into disappointment and then annoyance.

She took a step back getting away from me and squaring her shoulders, using her hand to move her hair away from her face. Then she adjusted the jacket she wore, her jaw projecting forward as her eyes glared up at me.

"I'm sorry," I repeated, now referring to more than just bumping into her.

She raised her hands in the air to make quotation marks.

"'Thank you for helping me'? 'Sorry for the trouble I've caused you'? Really?," Yun turned away from me, "That's all I get?" She mumbled.

Soon I heard the buzzing sound that told the gates were being unlocked.

"I'm sorry for-"

"Yeah, you should be!" She turned to me again suddenly, the white plastic bag in her hand whipping around dangerously as she did so, "You go out to God knows where after being sick like that? What if something happened to you?!"

She wasn't screaming, but her facial expressions were enough to make me feel like she was. Her eyes showed me the worry I put her through in the small amount of time I was away, the way she nervously put her hair behind her ear, even though there was no need to, told me how worked up she had been.

I didn't know if her reaction could be considered cute or not, but the fact that this was happening on the sidewalk and that the doorman was probably having a VIP view of the whole scene left me feeling self-conscious.

Sensing that I was beginning to feel uncomfortable, she puffed out her cheeks, sighing heavily. She put her hands on her hips and that's when I noticed the logo on the plastic bag she was carrying. My mouth immediately started to water and my stomach chose that moment to sing the song of its people and let Yun know, even from the distance we were in, that I was fucking starving.

She closed her eyes for a moment, and when she opened them, they were soft. Yun looked down at her bag and back at me, slightly gesturing with her head for me to follow her.

The ride up the elevator was almost torture. I could smell the grilled ribs and...was that kimchi stew? When the doors opened I followed her but not before taking a look at the button she had pressed, just to make sure I would remember information that my own mentor didn't bother to tell me. We were on the 5th floor.