Chapter 12: When I'm done only thing that remains

⚠This chapter has depictions of physical violence that might be upsetting to some people⚠

🎵This chapter has a soundtrack, if you'd like, start the song once you see the: 🎵

🥀YOONGI🥀

I moved my thumb over the cracked screen on my phone, absentmindedly feeling the rough edges of the glass.

Hobi told me I would know what to do when the time came, but I couldn't help imagining different scenarios in my head where Han Sae-Hee would run away screaming for help. Then, Hobi would be pissed because he would have to call the memory gatekeepers- as he calls them-to clean up my mess and wipe most of the citizen's memories of the event.

I wasn't muscular or tall. I was a bit shorter than my brother and had an athletic body, but I never cared much for going to the gym and doing exercise. I always preferred the indoors and my favorite activity was playing the piano, so when I thought back about Sae-Hee's body structure, I had to admit that I got a bit apprehensive about how things would turn out if it came to physical combat.

I laid down, intending to relax my muscles and stop the constant flow of thoughts inside my head. I used to overthink a lot when I was younger, but with time I figured that would only bring me frustration, so I started sticking with my new mantra: Don't think too much about what you're doing. One day you'll look back and see how amazingly you have grown.

Of course, that was applied to my habit of being too hard on myself but I guess it could work for my current "job" as well. I would get better with time and experience.

At some point, I drifted off to sleep and in my dream, I opened my eyes to a room with hideous flower wallpaper and a beige carpet. Big windows allowed smoky white light to come into place. I looked behind me to see an old kitchen. I could only see the wooden table aisle and a bit of the pattern of the tiles.

Even though there was light in the room, the kitchen was dark. The shadows danced under my sight, playing tricks on me as I slowly got up from the couch I was sitting on. With careful steps, I approached the badly lit kitchen, feeling the hairs on my arms standing up as I noticed the temperature slowly dropping the closer I got.

Something pulled at the back of my head, like a thought attempting to reach me. It was the same feeling when you try to remember a specific word but keep forgetting it.

I felt my brows furrowing in concentration. It was something important.

My breath condensed in front of me in a small white cloud that quickly dissipated. Looking down I noticed that there was a clear line where the room started to go dark, disobeying the laws of physics. I caught movement with the corner of my eye in time to see the shadows moving again, this time towards me.

I quickly stepped back, the thought in the back of my mind suddenly hitting me hard.

The experience I had during the early hours of the morning, being just a nightmare or not, now fronted my vision making me recognize the darkness and the malicious presence I just now felt pressuring me.

The shadow moved closer again with a weird buzzing sound and I backed up until I felt the couch against the backside of my thighs.

I woke up with a start, the buzzing sounds still ringing in my ears as I sat up and felt something falling on my lap.

Looking down I saw my phone, its cracked screen showing that I just got a new text message as it buzzed once more. I sighed, looking out the window. The sky was already dark.