9: Entrance Exam

For the next three months leading up to UA's entrance exam, Midoriya worked hard. Of course, he also hung out more and more with Koda, each learning more and more about each other. Suffice to say, things were going good.

It was now the day of the exams and both boys were pumped. So was Aizawa, not that he would admit to it.

With a farewell exchanged with his mom, Midoriya started walking to UA. Midway, he met Koda.

" Ko!" the ball of sunshine beamed as he ran up to the timid boy. " I didn't think you would walk this path to UA."

Koda shrugged quietly. " I didn't think you would walk this path, either."

" That's a great coincidence then, huh?" Midoriya smiled as he fell in step with his best friend.

Koda nodded with a smile. They walked in a peaceful silence until the large building of UA came into view. They began the trek up the mountain along with some other kids who were also applying for the exams.

Midoriya pouted, " Why does there have to be a hill?"

Koda shrugged, amused by Midoriya's comment, " Maybe it's so that we get exercise or something...?"

The greenet pouted deeper, " That doesn't make any sense if we're gonna be training in school anyway! UA, I swear."

Koda laughed quietly.

Midoriya succumbed to his thoughts as they slipped into a comfortable silence.

He had done a lot of thinking since he had helped Koda that day, and had realised something about his childhood friend, Bakugo. Of course, Midoriya still respected him a little, but that respect had decreased immensely.

He knew that Bakugo was a more... Violent type. What did you expect when growing up in a loud household? He also knew that Bakugo bore the weight of expectations all around him - from his parents, friends, teachers; basically everyone who knew about his quirk. They also told him that bullying was fine. You'll make an excellent hero one day, Katsuki! Or, Bakugo, it's always f ine to put people in their place. Don't worry about it! Even, Midoriya, stop crying. You're overreacting, it's only a small burn.

It was not a small burn; it was a third degree one on his chest the size of a bowling ball.

Any quirkist phrase? He'd heard them all. Bakugo will be this, Bakugo can do that. Midoriya can't be this, Midoriya must stop that.

And he used to think this was just how the world turned. Where if you weren't born strong, that was that and you'd be looked down upon. That it was fine and that it wasn't Bakugo's fault for going with it.

But now? Now, when he looked at Bakugo, he felt a flicker of hate and anger. He was hurting him, and for what cause? The anger was not because of how lucky Bakugo was to receive and know about a quirk so powerful. It was because of his response to it.

So, Midoriya had made up his mind. He would prove Bakugo and the people who were cruel to him wrong. He'd become a hero - the Number 1 hero, even - and look down on them, laughing, 'You were so, so wrong.'

Because, after all, spite is a powerful motivator.

Soon, they had arrived at UA and were filling into the seats for the first test; the written one. He sat down next to Koda, and, giving him a reassuring smile, the test began.

Taking a deep breath, he focused on the first question, and put his pen onto the paper.