32: The Obstacle Course (Pt 2)

Summary:

Previously:
----
A large, seemingly endless pit, with pillars reaching up and connecting to each other with ropes. Yet Midoriya had already landed, and the end of the test would probably be more important and harder than this one.

" If you fall, you're out!" Present Mic hollered enthusiastically. " If you don't wanna fall, then crawl! It's..."

Midoriya's stomach dropped to his feet as he peered over the edge. That- that was a very... very long way down...

" ... 'The Fall'!"
----
The end of the Obstacle Course - who will win?

----

Chapter 32: The Obstacle Course (Pt 2)

----

Midoriya gulped and looked back up, eyeing the ropes. If he fell, it would be game over - would he be able to catch himself with his wings in time? Also, it would hurt.

Alot.

He jolted when Present Mic yelled, " And Todoroki has taken the lead once more! "

His head snapped to Todoroki as he used his ice to glide swiftly along the ropes. Their eyes met as the fire and ice quirked boy jumped onto the next earth pillar and looked over his shoulder. Everything seemed to pause- before Todoroki ripped his gaze away and carried on running. A newfound determined fire ignited in Midoriya's eyes.

He was going to win this, pit or no.

He could hear other contestants catching up behind him and his mind raced. He could take out his wings again, but he didn't know how far the rest of the course was, and he didn't know if he'd have to use them more than he could. The Fall already looked like it was a long way across. It would be too much of a risk to use them.

And, what about the next challenge? He was no doubt going to have to be able to use his wings then.

Suddenly, an ecstatic voice was heard behind him.

" Here it is! Here's my chance to show off!"

He whirled around, seeing a girl with pink dreadlocks and what seemed to be complicated goggles practically buzzing on the spot. She had strange, metal boots and some sort of contraption on her back.

" It's time for my support items to be in the limelight!" she cackled. " Look, all you support companies across the country! Wire arrows and hover soles!"

Ah, so she's in the support department then, Midoriya thought. They were probably allowed to bring their items into the Sports Festival for advertisement or something. Her mechanisms seemed well made, too. They also seemed perfect to get across The Fall. An idea sparked.

" Excuse me!" he ran over to her. " Can your hover soles carry two?"

" You betcha!" she cried, beaming. " My babies can carry up to not one, not two, but three people at a time! Joined with these awesome wire arrows, my babies can get you over hundreds of meters quickly, no problemo!"

Midoriya ignored how she had referred to the objects as her 'babies'. " That sounds really cool! Would you let me catch a ride with you?"

She hummed. " What do I get out of this?"

Midoriya thought for a second. Publicity. She wanted publicity for her items, right? Maybe he'd be able to get that...

" I have a powerful quirk and I'm quite clever. I have a good chance at winning this," he said. Usually he wouldn't say something so bold, but hey, he was trying to convince support-girl here, not himself. " Todoroki, son of the number 2 hero, Endeavour, challenged me personally because of it. If you help me get first and beat him with help from your awesome tech, I doubt support companies won't be taking an interest in you. Also, I can act as a tester or assistant, if you want? I have some knowledge with machines."