5

~five days later~

Clay's POV

"No one can save you," Nihachu jeered, "You seem to always be the hero, Dream, but what happens when there's no one here to save you?"

"...you're all alone..."

Nihachu laughed at Clay's flinch and lifted her dagger...

Clay scrambled up in bed. His chest rose and fell in ragged breaths as he sorted out where he was.

His hands trembled as he ran them through his hair. Clay glanced to his side where George was still sleeping, undisturbed by Clay's abrupt awakening.

It was dark out, the moon was slowly disappearing. George's face was illuminated by the moon's soft light. Clay sighed and brushed a lock of hair from George's forehead.

It had been a while since he'd had a nightmare.

Clay couldn't say he missed them. He was glad he didn't wake George up.

He crept quietly out of the bed and went to the bathroom to wash his face. He studied himself in the dim mirror. Clay could faintly see his scar. His hand automatically reached up to trace the long, torn flesh. It was a familiar feeling.

He had saved George's life that day and he didn't regret it.

What he did regret was not being able to save himself.

Clay tore his hand from his face and looked away from the mirror. The sight didn't bother him as much anymore, but it was still unsettling.

He tiptoed back into the bedroom. Clay froze when he remembered something.

It was George's birthday.

Clay's face broke into a smile. He had the perfect idea for a surprise. He hoped George would like it.

The sky started to lighten subtly, the room getting lighter. Clay crept up to the bed and laid behind George.

He wrapped his arm around George's middle and pulled him close. George stirred slightly.

"Good morning, George," Clay murmured into his ear.

George's eyes flew open and he shivered at Clay's soft breath. He turned his head to see Clay.

"G'morning," he mumbled sleepily.

Clay kissed his neck and George gave him a confused look. "Why are you in such a good mood? Am I missing something?"

"It's your birthday!" Clay exclaimed, "Did you forget?"

George's eyes lit up. "Oh yeah. That's today."

"Don't sound too happy," Clay chuckled sarcastically.

George sighed and turned to face him, "Can we stay in bed all day today? I don't want to be a king for today."

Clay shook his head and smiled, "I have a surprise for you."

"One that involves us staying in bed?"

Clay raised an eyebrow and smirked, "And do what?"

George blushed, "I... I mean..."

Clay grinned as he trailed off. He pressed a kiss to George's neck and murmured, "Maybe later... but I have a different surprise in mind."

George pouted for second, but stopped when Clay bit down on his neck. George inhaled sharply and lifted a hand to Clay's face.

Clay pulled his face away from George and grabbed his hand. He yanked George out of the bed.