15

Clay's POV

"Sapnap?"

Clay stared in shock at his best friend, his mouth opening and closing. Sapnap was just standing there, a cold look on his face. He still looked the same.

His dark brown hair was cut short. Sapnap was always too cocky for his own good and he acted like it with the way he stood, shoulders back and chin held high. He wasn't wearing his signature bandana, but Clay wasn't paying attention to that. He was focused on Sapnap's eyes, which were looking at him without emotion.

Clay didn't know whether to shocked, happy, or confused. He figured it was a little bit of each.

Sapnap took a step forward and unsheathed his sword.

Clay's eyes widened and he took a step back, "Sapnap?"

"Get out of my way," Sapnap said harshly.

"What do you mean?" Clay asked, his eyebrows furrowing, "Sapnap, why is your sword out? H-How are you alive?"

"I said move," Sapnap growled.

"Clay?" George asked from behind Clay, "What's going on? I thought you said he was dead."

Clay looked back and forth between the two of them, "He... he was. I saw them bury you. Sapnap, how are you here?"

Sapnap glared at him, "I'm not here to have a chat about me, Dream."

"Dream?" Clay asked. Since when does he call me Dream? "How are you here?"

Sapnap sighed. "It doesn't matter. I came here to do my job, not socialize."

He walked forward and lifted his sword.

Clay lifted his hands in defense. "Sapnap?! What are you doing?!"

"Killing the king. Like she said."

"She? Do you mean Nihachu?" Clay asked and his heart dropped at Sapnap's slight nod, "Why are you working for her?"

Sapnap shrugged, "Because, that's what I was told to do."

"Is that where you've been all these years? In L'manberg? With Nihachu?"

Sapnap let out an annoyed sigh, "Just stop asking questions, Dream. Move out of the way. I'm not here to kill you."

"You're not touching George."

"Why do you care?"

Clay looked at him incredulously, "Why do I care? He's my fiancé, why wouldn't I care?"

Sapnap's face fell. "Wait... you two are... since when?"

"Since I met him." Clay replied, confused, "How do you not know this?"

Sapnap took a step back, "I-I didn't know. She never told me."

Sapnap paused, seeming to gather his thoughts. He straightened and lifted his sword.

"Sorry," he mumbled, "I don't know what's come over me. I need to do my job."

"No! Sapnap, you don't have to do this. I can help you. Nihachu is locked up, she has no power over you."

Sapnap glared at Clay, "Get out of my way."

Clay didn't budge. Sapnap sighed and walked forward, shoving Clay out of the way.

"Sapnap! Stop!" Clay shouted and yanked Sapnap's arm.

Sapnap turned around abruptly and pushed Clay to the wall. He held his sword to Clay's throat, but it seemed as though he couldn't go any farther.