14

Clay's POV

"Clay?"

The voice repeated weakly. Clay's head snapped up and his mouth dropped in surprise.

"...George?"

George mumbled an indistinguishable response and Clay sobbed in relief. He climbed on the mattress next to George and hugged him tightly.

Clay buried his head in George's neck and whispered, "You-you... You're awake."

George's breathing was uneven and struggling so Clay loosened his grip. He inhaled deeply as tears fell down his cheeks.

"I-I thought I lost you," Clay stammered, still in shock.

"I'm here, Clay," George responded weakly.

George slowly lifted his hand and brushed his fingers through Clay's hair. Clay sighed and took in large breaths to calm his tears.

He lifted his head from George's neck and looked at him. "I never left you George. I-I stayed here the whole time for you. I knew you would wake up."

The small smile that George had on his face fell as he looked at Clay for the first time in over a month.

He lifted his hands to Clay's face and his eyes were filled with worry. "What happened?"

"What do you mean?"

George's eyebrows furrowed and he whispered, "You― Clay... what happened to you?"

Clay frowned. "Nothing. I've been with you this entire time."

"How long?"

"Around a month I think."

A tear slid down George's cheek, "You look like you're half dead... didn't you take care of yourself?"

"You don't look that much better yourself," Clay half-joked, his voice a trembling whisper.

George didn't smile. He stroked Clay's cheek. "Clay..."

Clay looked away. "I'm good George, trust me. I'm even better now that you're awake!"

George frowned, seeing through his lie. Clay forced himself to meet George's eyes and said, "Are you hungry? I can get you some food?"

George nodded slowly and Clay smiled wide. He pressed a quick kiss to George's head before standing up.

He was happy to get food for George. His George.

His steps faltered on the way to the door when George whispered, "Make sure you eat too."

"Of course," Clay mumbled and gave George a nod before leaving the room, closing the door gently behind him.

He rushed quickly to the kitchen, eager to get back to George. Clay grabbed a tray and loaded it with an obsessive amount of food. Now that he thought about it, he was really hungry.

"Clay?" a tentative voice asked from behind him.

"Yeah?" Clay replied as he turned around to face Tubbo.

Tubbo brightened. "I- it's been so long since I've seen you!"

Tubbo embraced Clay and mumbled into his chest, "I thought you left."

Clay stood there, shocked, with his hands holding the tray above Tubbo's head. He shook his head to focus, setting the heavy tray on a table.

"How are you doing?" Clay asked as he patted Tubbo's back gently.

Tubbo sighed and pulled away. "Okay... Tommy's been really helpful, but I miss talking to you― and George."

Tubbo looked at his feet. Clay grabbed his shoulders gently, making Tubbo look back at him.