Holy shit

The five teens sat in the campervan, John B driving, Kie sat next to him, and pope, JJ and Riley sat in the back. John B was concocting wilder theories than ever as they drove towards Redfield lighthouse, the place John B was convinced his dad was sending them.

The teens all hopped out the van as they pulled up to the lighthouse. The building was almost derelict, and looked like no one had stepped foot in it for years.

"You sure this is the right place JB?" Riley asked him looking up at the building in front of her.

"Positive" John B said confidently as he walked closer to the lighthouse.

"Right guys here's what's gonna happen" John B started. "JJ you are gonna post up and look for bogeys okay"

"Wait... why me?" JJ argued

"Because you're not coming" pope looked at JJ with an agitated look on his face. Riley knew where this conversation was going and she did not want to be part of it so she headed back to the edge of the van and sat down just inside of it, with her head in her hands, waiting for the argument to be over.

"There are independent and there are dependent variables. You're an independent variable" pope started

"Shut up!" JJ attempted Interrupting him, pointing a harsh finger into his chest, raising his voice.

"We don't know what you'll do!" Pope tried to reason, raising his voice in retaliation.

"Just listen to me for a second!" John B interrupted the arguing of the two boys. "Pope and kie you stay look out with JJ, me and Lee will go up the lighthouse. If we get split up we meet back at JJs house" John B stated flat, as he looked over hopefully at Riley.

"Great" Riley sighed, happy the arguing had finally finished as she stood up brushed down the back of her shorts.

"No" JJ stated simply, a more agitated look than before on his face as he looked between John B and Riley.

"No? What do you mean no?" John B asked him starting to get annoyed now too.

"Ry stay here. Kie you go with John B." JJ said grabbing Riley by her wrist and pulling her to stand next to him. He looked at her pleadingly and they held eye contact before John B spoke up again.

"Fine whatever" John B sighed and him and kie headed towards to lighthouse.

"I'm gonna go work on my merit scholarship essay. And I'm trying to keep felonies down to a minimum" pope looked at JJ, almost warning him with his eyes, before spinning on his heels and heading inside the van.

"What the hell was that about JJ?" Riley suddenly questioned the boy, in a whisper so pope wouldn't hear but loud enough for JJ to hear her.

"What was what about?" JJ acted clueless as he scratched the back of his neck, turning round and sitting up against a tree.

"You know what J" Riley pressed further, walking over and standing in front of the boy, she searched his eyes for answers.

"No no I really dont Riley, care to elaborate?"  JJ looked up at the girl and smirked at her sarcastically.

"That. Earlier. 'Riley stay here, kie go with you' why does it matter?" She asked. She didn't know what answer she was expecting but deep down she knew the answer she wanted.

" because" JJ began "Kies being getting on my nerves recently with her moral high ground shit and you're slightly more tolerable" he shrugged before standing up and walking past Riley to go get a ball out the van.

Riley didn't know what she expected but she couldn't help but be disappointed. There was a part of her that hoped JJ had wanted to keep her safe, or spend time with her, or was at least jealous of her spending extra time with John B. But no of course not. How could she be so stupid? This was JJ Maybank. The boy had never had a girlfriend, had never caught feelings for a girl, and was the biggest fuck boy Riley had ever met. And why was she even hoping for this in the first place? This was her best friend, since they were little, she couldn't possibly want something more. could she?