Telling the god damn truth

After pope sprinted after JJ, Riley headed back to John Bs for the night to collect her thoughts on the evening. She fell asleep on the sofa before hearing the bang of the front door closing. She opened her eyes sleepily and lifted her head to see who it was, hoping John B had finally shown up.

"Just me" JJ said as he closed the door behind him and he began heading into John Bs room, avoiding eye contact with the girl completely.

"JJ wait!" Riley shouted after him, standing from the sofa and walking over to John Bs room after the boy.

"JJ!" She shouted through the door that had just been slammed in her face

"JJ!!" She shouted again banging on the door "god help me JJ I will kick this door in" she shouted through to him.

JJ opened the door, and stood with his arm on the door frame staring at the girl.

"what?" He said annoyed.

"What the fuck was all that about today?" She asked him, sighing as she calmed her voice.

"All what?" JJ asked her getting agitated.

"You know what J. I don't need you protecting me, I can handle myself" she told the boy.

"I know you can ry. But that doesn't mean I don't want to protect you, you're my girl... my best friend" JJ told the girl.

Riley took a minute taking in the boys words. All this time, all the things Riley was picking up, thinking he liked her as more than just friends, the way she did. But it turns out, he thought of her as a best friend. Nothing more.

"I'm going to bed" Riley said bluntly, walking into the spare room, shutting the door and locking it before JJ could follow her.

* * *

The next morning, John B still hadn't showed up, and Riley hadn't said a word to JJ. He kept trying to talk, but in the end he accepted defeat and they headed to Heywards to meet pope and kie in silence.

Kie and Riley chatted whilst JJ and pope discussed the fight from the night before.

"Don't let them get in your head brother there was 3 of them and two of us, that's some typical kook shit right there" Riley heard JJ said, she snapped her head around.

"And what were we? Spectators?" Riley asked sarcastically, mad that JJ had just forgotten about her and Kies contribution.

"Oh she speaks!" JJ said to the girl and Riley just rolled her eyes in response.

"What was your thought process using your head?" JJ asked pope.

"I don't know man I just kind of acted off instinct I was a cornered animal" pope said making Riley scoff.

"Hey pope there's someone here to see you!" Heywards called through the shop, and was followed in by officer Shoupe.

"What the fuck" Riley whispered to kie, who elbowed her telling her to be quiet.

"I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property, keep your hands on the counter where I can see em" shoupe said, mainly to pope

Riley watched pope turn round to JJ, looking for some form of advice, Riley looked at JJ too, panicking, hoping he knew what to do, but JJ just mouthed deny to pope, that would only make it worse.

Shoupe went to grab pope but Riley ran forward and pushed herself in front of pope.

"Young lady get out of my way"
Shoupe told the girl, shoving Riley slightly making her trip into JJ.