Chapter 18

Meliodas sat with Lilith at the cliff waiting until it was time to go, he was going with his team of rebels to fight off another wave of demons. His team included the angel Elizabeth, the fairy king Gloxinia, and the giant Drole. Lilith wasn't too worried about him, but she had a bad feeling.

"Will you forget me Meliodas.. if I die?" Lilith asks him

"What are you talking about?" Meliodas questions confused "You've still got your whole life ahead of you, you don't have to worry about dying yet"

"I know but, it'll happen eventually, it happens to all humans.." Lilith looks down "but you're a demon so you'll live longer then me, so when I do die.. eventually.. will you forget about me?"

"such a silly question, of course not, you're my whole life and the reason why I'm even in the alliance with Elizabeth and the others" Meliodas replies

"Do you think you'll really be able to end the war?" Lilith asks

"Well, their's only one way to find out my love..." Meliodas stands up and sighs "it's time for me to go"

"I'll be right here, waiting for you to return" Lilith smiles as she stands up

"I know you will" Meliodas hugs her "I love you"

"I love you too" Lilith replies solemnly

The two share a kiss, Meliodas then grows his demon mark and wings. He smiles to her before taking off, Lilith waves bye to him until she could no longer see him. Lilith makes her way back to her village, once through the barrier she could see the townspeople whispering to each other.

"Lilith"

Lilith turns to see the Paladin and the rest of the mages.

"Master.." Lilith says "what's wrong?"

"Lilith Valentine, you are hereby put on trial" the Paladin speaks "you are accused of the crime against your village and people by siding with the demon race"

Lilith's eyes widen "But.. I'd never go against my people"

"We will decide that" the Paladin says

Lilith stands in front of the Paladin outside of the church where the people of the villaged were gathered.

"Lilith, do you deny the charges against you?" the Paladin asks

"Yes of course" Lilith replies

"Then we shall precede" the Paladin says and looks at Sora "Sora, please state what you saw"

"Sora" Lilith looks disappointed

"Yes sir" Sora says softly, equally as disappointed in himself "for years.. Lilith has been meeting the leader of the Ten Commandments Meliodas in the outskirts of the village.. claiming they were friends"

"Do you deny that?" the Paladin asks Lilith

"N-no" Lilith looks at him "but it's true, Meliodas is my friend.. well he's my lover.."

The village people gasp and whisper

"Wait you don't understand" Lilith pleads "he's not fighting against us anymore, he's helping us"

"You call killing innocent people and destroying villages helping!" the Paladin shouts

"He doesn't do that anymore" Lilith argues "He's changed"

"Demons don't change" the Paladin sighs and looks at the villagers "do you see what these demons are capable of?! They've even corrupted someone like our sweet and innocent Lilith!"

"I'm not corrupted, please you have to listen to me" Lilith pleads

"She even calls him her lover!" the Paladin shouts "Demons are incapable of love"

"That's not true" Lilith argues desperately "

"To protect our kind.. we must get rid of this corrupted being and free her soul" the Paladin says and faces Lilith "Lilith Valentine, you are founded guilty, but do not worry your punishment shall set you free. You are sentenced to be burned at the stake, and may your spirit be free from the demon's corruption"

"N-no" Lilith says

The guards grab her and drag her to where she'd be tied and burned.

"Please listen to me" Lilith begs as tears begin to fill her eyes

"Master can't we not burn her" Sora runs up to the Paladin "maybe their's another way to save her, Lilith's always been a kind and innocent girl, she'd never hurt anyone"

"I fear that she may be corrupted far beyond saving now" the Paladin puts his hand on Sora's shoulder "with her being my greatest pupil she could be used against us, we must set her soul free"

Lilith looks down in fear as she was tied to the post. The combined power of the mages were enough to suppress her power, she couldn't set herself free.

"Meliodas" Lilith cries

"Stop it! She hasn't done anything wrong!"

Everyone turns to see Meliodas running through the barrier in his demon form.

"The demon!"

"He broke through the barrier!"

"Meliodas don't hurt them!" Lilith shouts as the fire is started below her "Ah!"

"Stop!" Meliodas shouts

Meliodas's demon mark grows and the mages begin to defend against him. They begun to fight as the normal villagers run for their lives.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH" Lilith screams as the fire begins to consume her

"LILITH!" Meliodas screams running towards her

The mages used a barrier to block him and that's when Meliodas completely lost it. His demon mark completely took over and he unleashed his wrath on the entire village. When the dust settled, Meliodas was sitting in his normal form holding Lilith's body to him as he cried.

"those eyes"

Meliodas looks down at Lilith as she places her hand on his cheek.

"shouldn't look so sad" Lilith finishes before her hand drops and she closes her eyes

"Lilith.. don't leave me.." Meliodas sobs "please don't leave me.." he holds her closer to him "LILITH"