||Twenty Seven||-›Indulging In Desires

Slightly edited. Check the comment section below for all lost comments🌼

❝How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death❞

• Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

Is a sin a sin if created by man

Is a sin a sin if created by man....?

Ball Room ꨄ︎

The quartet stopped playing and everyone bowed as they moved towards the banquet for a dinner break.

Reuben was seated with his leg crossed at the ankle as he helped himself to some shrimp croquettes and lemon curd. The dance with Gwenllian had been a disaster as he expected. Once he began dancing with her, all he had learnt in the previous days evaporated into nothingness, he stepped on her foot with each step, it was like he couldn't dance with anyone who wasn't Julius. Curse him and his conflicting charming ways!

"Reuben, have you by any chance seen your sister? She told me she wanted to get refreshment a few minutes ago, but I have seen no trace of her since," Maxime questioned, fidgeting in place.

"Do I look like I am my sister's chaperone," Reuben cheeked, taking a bite of his food.

"I do not have time for your wit, I am being serious," Maxime whined.

"And I, my friend, am being interrupted from my meal," Reuben gestured towards his plate.

"Can a day go by without you being entirely brusque."

"You tell me."

"Is lady Alice who you speak of?"

"William, have you seen her anywhere?" Maxime asked the son of the barrister.

"Wonderful, William also here to join the charade," Reuben scoffed.

Ignoring Reuben, William answered. "I saw her sneak outside with a handsome fellow named Jules or some sort, she thought I did not hear her, but I'd heard it, ol clever William here, me did!"

"She snuck out with a man," Maxime repeated, hurt clouding his expression.

"Yes, very indecent," William added.

"The name you called, was it Julius?" Reuben finally muttered, voice low and rough.

"Aah yes, it was Julius indeed!"