||Thirty Two||-›The Perished Lady

dedicated to arrminarrlertThemiraclechicken

QOTD; How do you deal with homophobic relatives? Especially those you care about?

❝I may not weep, not weep, and he is dead.
A weary, weary weight of tears unshed
through the long day in my sad heart I bear;
The horrid sun with all unpitying glare
shines down into the dreary weaving-room,
where clangs the ceaseless clatter of the loom.❞

•Amy Levy

Foreshow, forewarn, forebode

Wellington Estate ꨄ︎

                        ☘︎Sunday Morning☘︎

Julius had offered his prayers at church this morning. He had knelt before the pew he was seated in and had prayed for all the sorrow upon his heart be lifted.

He had still not asked Rebekah what she had seen or suspected, he did not know how to ask. He was afraid of what she might say. Though he was mostly a bold fellow, he was however not this brazen. Julius was not an idiot, anyone could see from Rebekah's expression that she was perturbed about something. What he could not figure out was why Rebekah hadn't said anything to him. She surely knew something so why hadn't she confronted him or reported him to the police or Lord Alfred. He knew Rebekah was not a wicked woman, she was one of the kindest people he had met since his arrival to Wellington, but he could not help but wonder if her kindest would extend to this, to him committing what England believed was the most woeful crime. Should he tell Reuben of the incident? Or should he not? And if he did, would Reuben forgive him for being so reckless?

"Julius!" Standing at the threshold of the quarter, Marian beckoned Julius over. "I need to have a word with you. Do not look so troubled, I do not intend on rebuking you."

Was worry that evident on his face, Julius thought. Only if madame Marian knew she had no part in his mood.

Following Madame Marian to the quarter, Julius soon realized how scarce the quarter was. Except for the two footmen fetching buckets of water into a hogshead and the lady baking pies, no one else was present.

"Most have not returned from church and the others have made their way to the main gates for duties, whiles the recent servants have already left to their villages," Marian informed as Julius glanced around.

Julius' brow quirked at her words. "They've  left?"

"Yes, and for that reason was why I beckoned you," apprehensive, she began, "I wrote to my brother, Mr Francis, if you recall his name, a few weeks ago and we discussed how you are to leave on Tuesday. He will bring a carriage to take Cornelius to Minehead and you through  Porlock.