||Eight||-›Réfléchir

This chapter had the best comments but they've now disappeared since I edited this novel because of minor typos😭 However, all hope isn't lost. Check the base of this chapter and the other chapters, you'll see a comment section, feel free to click on it!

QOTD; Do you have a celebrity crush?👀.

Suddenly this defeat.
This rain.
The blues gone grey
and the browns gone grey
and yellow,
A terrible amber

Jack Gilbert.

The world is against those who only know of their own suffering

Reuben's Bedchamber ꨄ︎

Reuben slammed the door to his bedchamber, still fuming.

How could Obadiah disgrace him this way and especially in the midst of all those peasants.

Now seated on the edge of his bed, Reuben did not have much time to dwell on what had happened minutes ago, someone had suddenly burst into his chamber soon after his entry.

“What was the meaning of the chaos you caused back at the servant's quarter?!” That was the first sentence Obadiah bitterly uttered upon his entrance.

“Do you not see how you disgraced me, wasn't that enough,” Reuben countered in exasperation.

“How I disgraced you?! Can you even hear yourself, Reuben,” now pacing about, Mr Webb exclaimed in both frustration and utter disappointment, “If anyone humiliated you, then it was all your own doing.”

“But he disrespected me, I wasn't just going to stand there and watch him do it.”

“But nothing, Reuben, it is no good bleating on about how he disrespected you.”

“I have told you this before and I'll remind you until you understand that simply because I am losing my sight, does not give anyone the right to walk all over me!” exclaimed Reuben, voice cracking.

“Reuben..”

Obadiah felt sorry for the young lad, he knew Reuben felt he was less of a man because of his impending sight loss. Obadiah was also aware of the fact that Reuben felt threatened by other men, and as a result, did all he could to have them fear him, that way they would show him respect.

“Nothing, do not speak another word,” murmured Reuben, despondently.

“Your insecurities give you no right to be vile towards others”. Obadiah muttered, he hated seeing Reuben with such grim features, but what needed to be said had to be said.

“You have to concede that what you did was truly idiotic and apologize for it,” Obadiah lowly added.

“I did nothing wrong, there's surely no need for me to apologize,” sulked Reuben with his lips pressed firmly together in annoyance, like the stubborn young man he was.