||Six||-›Gulliver's Travels

QOTD: If you are given the power to change one thing in your life at the moment, what would it be?.

My gentler rest is on a thought,
Conscious of doing what I ought

•Adam Lindsay Gordon.

Wittiness isn't always charming and well received

Reuben's Bedchamberꨄ︎

Julius's belly had churned the whole night, and it had further worsened the next day when, Madame Marian, brought him his starched attire for his new position as a valet. The morning dress of the valet is of a
double-breasted coat over a waistcoat, trousers and a small black tie. At lunch, he was to wear a regular livery suit with a striped waistcoat.

Now donned in his uniform, it all became awfully real. It did not help that Ferguson Sawyer had a good laugh at the whole ordeal, while Marian Dankworth reminded him of his etiquette, as Rebekah Smith assured him it wouldn't be all that dreadful. Only if Julius believed those words.

The young master was up to something, that much he knew, but what it could be was a whole different story.

Julius' journey to the manor was repellent to him as usual, the only difference being that he wasn't in the comfort of his usual vest and trousers, but had a stiff attire on his taut back. Upon entering the building, it was apparent that preparation was being made as he saw footmen and maids busily wandering about. What the preparation was for, he quite did not have a clue. The ball would take place in two months, nothing was supposed to be happening this expeditiously.

Everyone looked too busy to bother, so Julius decided he needeth not know.

Making his way through the foyer to what he remembered as Reuben Griffith's bedchamber, he saw lady Elizabeth in the drawing-room. She was dressed in a cadet blue bell-sleeved gown, with servants encircling her as she instructed them on what must be done before the Duke's return by sunset. Only then did Julius know what all the preparation was for.

Just as he glanced at lady Elizabeth, she also caught his gaze. “Mr Cadwell,” she called out, and then proceeded to send the servants away.

“Dash it!” Julius swore under his breath. “Could I ever go where I need to without the Griffith siblings being after me?!” thought the young man in frustration.

“Good day, my lady,” Julius's smile was far from genuine but remained urbane. Today he didn't quite have it in him to pretend; “Duchess Augusta assigned me to be your brother's valet for a fortnight,” he awkwardly added.

“Oh, yes, I have heard, my mother is at the garden instructing the greenskeeper to scythe the grass pleasingly for my father's return from Yorkshire, you will surely see her there,” her blood-red painted lips curved into a small smile, which he did not return, but only gave a nod at. Who he was looking for wasn't the Duchess, so that information wasn't of necessity.