||Sixteen||-›Enlightenment

A young tree, unburdened
by anything but your beautiful natural blossoms
And dew, the dark
Blood in my body drags me.❞

James Wright.

Our love is a crime, it is hidden in the shadows, but our love transcends any other

Scullery ꨄ︎.

There was a winners ceremony held and Julius had received a second-place medallion, and had been congratulated by almost everyone. For the first time in his life, he had been shown respect and admiration.

Yet his earlier bliss had evaporated, maybe it was because he knew the adoration wouldn't last, or it had to do with the conflict happening in his mind. He could not stop thinking about Reuben.

Marian had assisted the other maids make a big meal for all the workers in celebration of Julius's win. She was fond of Julius and wanted to treat him. It was merely 8 pm, nevertheless, almost everyone was already asleep. They had gluttonized, which left them feeling fatigued and sluggish. Julius, on the other hand, had hardly eaten anything and Rebekah as always was poised. They were the only ones awake.

Julius walked into the scullery, seeing Rebekah sat alone and busily sewing together holes in a table cloth.

“Ahem.”

“Is anything the issue?” Rebekah asked with a confused smile.

“You did say I could come to you if ever I felt dejected, right?” he asked, avoiding her gaze as he toyed with the medallion around his neck.

“Why yes, why, what is the matter?”

“I feel dejected.”

She cocked a brow, smirking. “I will be done shortly.”

Rebekah's exuberant laughter resounded across the garden. Her fingers tightly gripped onto the folds of her frock, hair sprawled about as she ran through the 5'6 rose hedge maze.

Julius was right behind her, shirt billowing in the breezy wind of the summer night. Blue mottled with purple embellished the star flecked sky.

“Woo-hoo!” he exclaimed, pumping his fist in the air.

They ran in circles, gleeful and free.

The Dukedom was vast, Lord Alfred's manor and the area surrounding it was the epitome of picturesque. From the enchanting gardens, orchard, farmland, lakes..etc. It was all majestic.

Julius smiled so wide that he felt his cheeks strain, whiles Rebekah laughed till her eyes glossed over.

They fell on lush grass simultaneously, turning heads to look at each other, smiles fervent with their chest heaving.