The Inauguration

Corazon's POV

"A penny for your thoughts, Mr President?", I hugged him from behind and wrapped my arms on his waist. I just got out of the bathroom when I saw Marcial in the veranda looking so serious and seems to be in a deep thoughts.

"Hi, Ma!", he faced me and hugged me. "Hmm. Ang bango. Tara na sa kama!", a mischievous smile formed on his lips as he traced my lips with his finger.

"Tse! Marami pa ako gagawin. Di pa ako tapos mag empake!", natatawang sagot ko at  bahagyang hinampas siya sa dibdib.

 Di pa ako tapos mag empake!", natatawang sagot ko at  bahagyang hinampas siya sa dibdib

This is our last night here in the house we called home for 30 years now. Tomorrow, after his inauguration as the 17th President of the Philippines, we will be moving to our official residence, at the Malacañang Palace . Marcial won the Presidential election by landslide. Fifteen million Filipinos voted for him and entrusted their future on my husband. It was not an easy campaign. It was exhausting emotionally, physically and even financially. My husband has been a victim of black propaganda being thrown at him by his opponents. But despite of all these, he emerged victorious for they cant put a good man down.

"Ma, inaantok ka na ba? Doon muna tayo sa  garden!", Marcial asks suddenly holding my hand.

''Hindi pa naman. Tara. Gusto mo ng kape? Ipagtitimpla muna kita. Just wait for me at the garden''.

After a few minutes, I joined him at the garden with a cup of coffee.

''Here's your coffee, Pa''. 

''Thank you, Ma, Come here!''. Marcial  grabbed the cup of coffee and puts it in the coffee table in front of him. He then pulled me on his lap.

''Bakit parang ang lalim kanina ng iniisip mo, Marcial?'', I asks.

He caresses my face and kisses my forehead before answering.

''Ma, simula bukas maraming magbabago. Pero isa lang ang pinapangako ko sayo na hinding hindi magbabago.  Iyon ang pagmamahal at katapatan ko sayo. Mahal na mahal kita Corazon. Lagi mong tatandaan''.  Marcial uttered staring at me with so much love in his eyes. I did not say a work but instead gave him a tight hug. 

''Thank you for everything, Ma. I love you'', he whispers to me.

''And I love you more Marcial. Magiging Presidente ka na ng Pilipinas bukas. Magiging Ama ng bansa. Pangako, nandito lang ako sa tabi mo. Pag pagod ka na, ako ang iyong magiging pahinga. From your General De Leon days up to now that you are the President, always remember Mahal. I will always be your home'',  I assured him as I wrapped my arms on his neck.

''I know, Ma. I know. Kaya nga napaka swerte ko. I wont be who I am now without you by my side. I couldn't thank you enough''.

====

The Next Day..

Manila Cathedral

Today is Marcial De Leon's oathtaking and inauguration as the new President of the country. Marcial choose to take his oath and deliver his inaugural speech at the Manila Cathedral Church. This church holds a special place in his heart This is the church where he and Corazon got married and where their daughter Arabella was baptized. Contrary to the past Presidents oathtaking and inauguration where VIP and famous personalities filled the venue, today is different. Marcial invited ordinary people, farmers, doctors, activists, young soldiers and policemen and the youth sector to witness this momentous occasion. For Marcial, today is a celebration not of his victory but the victory of these people who played a big impact on his political career. Their closest friends are also invited including Jo Alicante and their 3 beautiful children. Jo's husband, General Leo couldn't make it though as he is sick at home.

Meanwhile, at the presidential car the soon to be President is sitting beside his wife looking so gorgeous on her beige Filipiniana gown . 

''Ang lamig ng mga kamay mo, Marcial. Kinakabahan ka ba?'', natatawang tanong ni Corazon habang hawak ang mga kamay ng asawa.

''Medyo'', Marcial smiles. 

''Relax, Pa. Wag kang kabahan. Nandito lang kami ng mga anak mo sa tabi mo okay. At ang gwapo gwapo mo ngayon oh. Wag mo sayangin kung kakabahan ka lang'', Corazon giggles as she fixed the collar of his Barong Tagalog. The President is looking so handsome and dignified in the barong Corazon personally choose for him to wear on his inauguration. '' Pero alam mo Marcial, mas gwapo ka in your military uniform. Oh siguro dahil nakasanayan ko lang. Hahaha'', Corazon jokes to lighten up the mood. 

Not long after, the organizer of the event ushered them to the church as the oathtaking will be starting in a few minutes. Marcial tightly holds Corazon's hand while walking and his wife gently squeezes it . Marcial and Corazon's close friend who is also a Priest will officiate his oathtaking This is contrary again to the past Presidents who's oathtaking is being officiated by the Chief Justice. 

Marcial is now at the altar for the oathtaking surrounded by his daughters Arabella and Jessie and his son in laws Ethan and Franco. Their grandchildren are also present to witness the event. Beside Marcial is the beautiful Corazon smiling and beaming with pride. She is holding the Bible where Marcial placed his left hand while reciting his oath.

"I, Marcial De Leon do solemnly swear that I will faithfully and conscientiously fulfill my duties as President of the Philippines, preserve and defend its Constitution, execute its laws, do justice to every man, and consecrate myself to the service of the Nation. So help me God''.

A big round of applause filled the church after President Marcial took his oath. He then faces his wife and kisses her on the lips and then hugs his children and grand kids.

Then the time came for Marcial to deliver his inaugural speech. Everyone was all ears as he delivers his speech. Meanwhile, Corazon's eyes started to welled up listening to his husband. She has always been proud of Marcial. From the first time they met when he was still a mere Captain in the military until he rose from the ranks of the General. But today is different. Her heart is full as he watches his husband being the beacon of hope for every Filipino. Midway through the President's speech Corazon's tears running down her face. Arabella handed her a tissue. 

'' Hindi ko po ito tagumpay. Tagumpay po ito ng milyon milyong Pilipinong napagod, nadismaya at nangarap ng pagbabago. This is a victory of the Filipino people. A day of hope and renewal for everyone. I know you are all tired of a government that plays deaf and dumb. I know what it is like to be denied of justice. I have experienced this myself. I know the feeling of being ignored by those in power. Being ignored by those government leaders  you helped put in power. Have you had to experience being shoved by those who love to display their position and power over you? I have, too. Have you experienced exasperation and anger at a government that instead of serving you, makes life difficult for you? I know you have.  That is why today, my beloved Filipino people, I promise to bring the CHANGE you all deserve. Today marks the end of a government indifferent to the appeals of the people. I will be the leader that will listen to you, that will serve you with all honesty and integrity. My loyalty will always be with the Filipinos whom I vow to serve and to protect ever since I first took my oath as a young soldier decades ago''.

This was part of Marcial's speech that brought hope in everyone's hearts. People are all ears to the President giving him nods of approval. Just when everyone thought that the President is done with his speech, the President acknowledges his beautiful wife.  

" My dearest Corazon de Leon, my love. For the past thirty years, you have not only been my wife, the mother of my children but you have been my best friend too.  My biggest critic and my number one supporter at the same time. The wind beneath my wings. Although being a First Lady is not something you've ever imagined or dream, you took this new chapter of our lives selflessly, with your own grace and conviction. And for that I couldn't be any prouder. Thank you, Ma!''.

President Marcial is saying these words while staring at his beautiful wife. He then extended his arms gesturing  Corazon to be beside him at this moment. Corazon followed. He stands beside him and they both ended the President's inaugural speech with a kiss. Everyone giggles and smiles. ''Love is truly in the air'', someone from the audience uttered while giggling.  It was indeed an inauguration filled with hope and love.