Chapter 3

Pain greeted me in every inch of my body when I woke. Everything was stiff but most especially my neck. It felt like I had whiplash. The sharp metallic tang of blood made me crumple my nose. The realization of what had happened settled over me, though I was to weak to really process what was going on.

Am I being carried? Sure enough, someone was princess carrying me. I'd love to say that I'd enjoy it but I hurt too much, I just wanted to stretch out and sleep. The arms holding me were strong and solid. The last time I had been carried was when I was a child and I remember worrying they'd drop me. I had no such worry now. The chest I was pressed into was firm as well.

"Just rest," A beautiful voice, like the seductive caress of a lover greeted me, "I took too much, you won't be able to walk in this state." Who?

"Don't worry, I won't hurt you." The regret in his voice made my heart pang. Don't be sad. I needed to see who this voice belonged too. Strangely it was difficult to open my eyes but when they finally fluttered open I could see nothing but two ember like eyes glowing red in the dark. "Rest." A thick fog settled over my mind and I could do nothing but comply.

She was too frail. She made Eclis self conscious of his strength and just how easily her bones would crush if he squeezed her. Who was she, more importantly, how did she know the power words. He grit his teeth. If the humans meant to control him through her, they were in for hell. He would kill her, and everyone involved in this farce if he needed to.

Her breathing changed. She was awake. Even in her tousled state the dirt and grime couldn't hide the lustre in her golden hair and her porcelain skin. Definitely a noble's daughter. What despicable man would use such a lady to be the leash for a beast like him?

"Just rest," Did her lips just twitch in a smile? "I took too much, you won't be able to walk in this state." He questioned why he would say that. Of course, she wouldn't be thinking of walking on her own in this state. The thought of her wanting him to drop her pissed him off still. Strange. When she didn't react he assumed she was frozen out of fear. She didn't smell afraid though.

"Don't worry, I won't hurt you." The last part was a lie. He'd need to mind control her in order to discover who she belonged too, he would even strip her of her free will... And he would kill her if she betrayed him.

Her long golden lashes fluttered open revealing her emerald like eyes. He locked eyes with her and took hold of her mind. "Rest." The command was met with no resistance, she relaxed once again in his arms, her jewel like eyes leaving him alone in the dark. Eclis hated stripping sacrifices of their own will. There had been a time he had even vowed never to use such tactics, but a millennia in the dark had torn down those reservations. This time he would do all in his power to protect himself and his people. He would never allow another sacrifice to betray him.

Dawn was near, thus everything out of the fire's reach was covered in a growing layer of dew. The smell of wood smoke mixed beautifully with the fresh forest air reminding me of summer vacations with family and friends. Surveying the area I wondered how I got here. Memories of me being carried flashed through my mind and I blushed. My face got redder when I realized I was sitting on someone's lap, resting my head on their shoulder.

"You're awake," His voice was sultry, the novel could never do it justice in its description of him, "I caught something for you to eat." I was already too embarrassed to look up at him, instead staring at the fire with intensity you'd think I were trying to kill it. In my field of view he lifted up a strip of cooked meat. No way, is he trying to feed me? My heart started to pound and my face got even redder.

"Take it," Relief and a little disappointment flooded me when I realized he didn't intend to feed me. I'm so shameless. My fingers were weak and it was hard to properly hold the meat. Whatever it was, it was gamy and took up all of my energy just to chew. He held up another piece. I eyed it but I didn't feel hungry.

"Keep eating, even if you have to force yourself. You need to gain your strength back." Was this actually Eclis? In the book he was gruff and pushed the heroine away when they first met. His route was long with little action in the beginning. He certainly wouldn't have fed her while she was in his lap this tenderly. Speaking of laps, I tried to shift my weight so I'd fall off his. His arm prevented it.

"Who are you?" I took the meat. Having nearly experienced death I had no intention of meeting that fate again. There was so many things to experience in this world.

"Eclis, though I would assume you'd know the name of the person you contract with miss." His teasing voice was a weapon. Not fair.

"Ah, right." I didn't know what else to say. I hadn't thought far enough ahead to make up excuses as to why I knew the spell, or how I found him. "Can.. Can you put me down?" I tried to change the subject instead.

"No." I faltered when I didn't get the answer I expected.

"No?"

"You'll freeze in this state miss. I don't have a blanket to keep you warm." He sounded like the perfect gentleman and kept using polite language with me. Wasn't Eclis supposed to be almost feral when he had escaped the prison? "Keep eating." I took the piece of meat I hadn't noticed him offer me.

"Miss has my name, but I'm afraid I don't have yours." I racked my brain for an answer but there truly were no memories left of the person who's body I now inhabited. The panic must've shown on my face as he added, "Ah, how rude of me. let me ask you again when you've regained your strength. Just focus on eating for now."

I could feel his voice reverberating through his chest, it was hard to eat when I was so close to him like this. My second feeble attempt to move failed miserably. He was serious when he said no. The last moments of the night were spent with him feeding me cuts of cooked meat from whatever mystery animal he had grilled over the fire. I was relieved he didn't ask me any more questions, though I did like hearing his voice. When I could no longer keep my eyes open he picked me up again. "There's a outcropping ahead to rest for the day." I fell asleep before we reached it.