Chapter 22 - The Mage Tower

I rose the next day feeling well rested. While Misa and Maybella dressed me, I broke the news. "We'll be meeting with the imperial family sooner or later. I'll need a dress for it, Misa. Maybella, I need to know the latest trends and gossip in the capital as well." Unlike Julia, I was entering the palace backed by a noble house of the Empire already so I expected my visit would be easier. Even so, Julia became the center of gossip and disdain once she'd caught the attention of the crown prince. It was made worse due to the fact that she'd come from Tyrra with no knowledge of the Empire, its trends or fashion. I had no intention of giving them any ammunition... Or any of my time for that matter. In and out.

"This is so exciting! Will this mean you'll be selecting some ladies in waiting Madam?" I gave Misa a questioning look. Only members of the royal family were allowed ladies in waiting.

Noticing my confusion, Maybella explained. "Madam... Do you know that Eclis is a named heir and second prince of the Empire?" It was an honorary title given to him for the massive contributions he'd made to the formation of the Empire. Since vampires could not reproduce, families were made up of adoptee's chosen on their merits. By the time Julia had arrived in the novel he had already revoked his succession right and was often called the 'fallen prince'.

"Ah." While I didn't want to sound incompetent to my maids, I was no longer as confident in my knowledge of this world after that conversation with Eclis. "To be honest, no. In truth I've been thrown into this role without ever being prepared for it."

"Don't worry Madam! We'll help you to the best of our ability, right sister?" Misa beamed at me encouragingly.

"Alphonse already has some of your tutors lined up for you. Shall we meet with them early to prepare you?" Maybella seemed a bit softer today.

"Thank you, I think that would be good." I turned back to Misa, "There is another ask I have of you, though it seems this will be harder than getting a dress suitable for the palace." Misa was already fired up, waiting with stars in her eyes.

"I need clothes for commoners, and shirts and pants made for me." She seemed confused for a moment, but it was Maybella who had the courage to ask.

"Will you be leaving the palace Madam?" While they were Eclis' people, they were mine as well. If they were to trust me, perhaps I needed to show them some trust too.

"Yes. I'll need things I can use to blend in while I am away, and I need clothes suitable to fight in as well. Training attire will also be necessary." Both of them finished dressing me somberly. "Misa, Maybella."

"Yes Madam?" I loved it when they spoke in tandem.

"In the future, if you have suggestions or questions, I want you to speak. I will not take offence."

"Then Madam, I would like to suggest that you avoid leaving the palace." Misa nodded her agreement with Maybella.

"I understand how dangerous it can be, but I won't be alone when I leave."

"Madam, its not just the dangers of the world you will face." Maybella's face was grave. "There are kingdoms and nobles in the Empire that favor the Duke over the crown prince. You are already in the center of this." Even when Eclis had renounced his claim to the throne the crown prince moved to keep him in check. Other kingdoms had still sought out any way to form ties to him as well. There was even an Elven king who would only contract with Julia in order to tie their kingdom to the Dumont name, rather than the Imperial family.

"Thank you for the advice Maybella. I'll keep it in consideration." None of that was going to stop me.

The next two days before my meeting with Michael were packed with introductions to my new tutors, fittings for dresses, and memorizing every piece of knowledge Maybella had on the capital. It seemed everything Elven was no longer in fashion, instead they were mimicking the fancy frilled dresses more common in Tyrra right now. In a year, that would switch. With Misa it took a lot of explanation on what I was looking for in terms of training gear and men's clothing. I even had to draw it. The search for a designer willing to put their name on such a risky design was turning up no results still. The dozen or so designers I'd already met with had all refused and every letter sent out was met with refusal or deflection.

Letters began to pour in. Invites to balls, tea parties, and festivals throughout Ganimede. In the back of my mind, I hoped Eclis would renounce his candidacy soon.

Among the letters was an official invite from Richard to tea. It was set for a couple hours after I met with Michael. My brows furrowed. Beside me, Alphonse noticed.

"Alphonse, if you have something to say, be it a suggestion or a question just speak your mind. In my world it is rude not to." He nodded, relieved.

"Madam, have you been avoiding Richard?" Alphonse was very perceptive.

"Yes..." If I'm going to gain Alphonse's trust and loyalty, I needed to be honest with him. "In the Novel he was blamed as a spy for the imperial family."

"Richard has been serving this house for longer than even I. Surely-" During Eclis' imprisonment Richard was dutiful in managing the estates, all while reporting on what the palace was doing. He was especially attentive when it came to Heinrick and James. It was why all their attempts to save Eclis ended in failure.

"You're right Alphonse." I let out an exasperated breath, "At this point I could be wrong about it..." He looked conflicted. "And I won't ask you to do anything you're not comfortable with regarding this topic. For now, pass him this letter and tell him I accept the invite. Make sure I'm served only herbal tea and serve us tiny cakes and sweets." Alphonse knew I preferred black tea with tea sandwiches, pastries, or fruits. He nodded; curiosity evident in his eyes now.

"Then I'll meet you at the tower." With that he left.

Tomorrow was the fateful day I'd discuss my future with all three of them present. I was both excited and anxious. With the pressure's surrounding being Eclis' rose I was both blessed and cursed with his wealth and influence. Would I even have the freedom to do what I wanted?