Chapter 24 - A change in direction

The phone was lying face down, but I immediately recognized its familiar shape and case. "You really can send me back then can't you... If you could bring my phone over." Michael looked beat. Beads of sweat were forming at his hairline and he couldn't hide the slight pant in his breathing. He still smiled back at me confidently.

"Just leave it to me Miss." Tears misted my eyes. That strong sense of anxiety and dread that came with the news of my mana issues dissipated knowing that there was at least a light at the end of this long tunnel.

"Thank you." My voice broke and for the first time here, I couldn't hold it back anymore. Tears began to spill over. Michael looked stunned, then uncomfortable. Eclis had an expression I didn't understand. Guilt? Alphonse was the only one who seemed to know what to do, coming in close to rub my shoulder and hand me a handkerchief. "Sorry I just... I just really miss my family." When I first came here, and every time I had ever dreamed of going to another world, I never understood why they'd want to go home. Why leave when you could use magic and eat new things and go places you'd never been to and never could see in a million years otherwise. It was what you'd left behind that drew you home.

"Don't apologize Madam. Just cry." I had nearly gotten a hold of myself but the affection in Alphonse's voice crumbled that down. Eclis finally approached us, hesitating in front of me before pulling me into his embrace. Why did he look so guilty? None of this was his fault. I let myself snuggle into him. Just for this once. It took a few moments before I finally collected myself and rubbed the last of my tears away with Eclis' handkerchief. While I let go of Eclis, his arm remained around my shoulders holding me.

"Here," Michael was having trouble making eye contact with me now and his face had turned as red as a tomato. "You called this a phone?" It was weird seeing it here with all of us dressed the way we were. It was at odds with this world.

"Yeah... Though it appears to be dead... Weird, I swear it was fully charged when I went to sleep that night." It wouldn't work here anyways, but the feel of it in my hands was still comforting.

Michael cleared his throat, "Yes, well. It must have been drained of life on its way here."

"That thing was living?" Alphonse sounded astonished.

"No. Since magic doesn't exist in my world, humans discovered how to create machinery that ran on electricity instead. In the back here," I pointed, "is a battery pack that would hold a charge and allow this to turn on." How much of that he understood I didn't know.

"What made it so important to you?" Eclis spoke softly, but the moment he did, he commanded the attention of the room. I considered my phone for a moment.

"A lot, I guess. It basically contains my entire life. Through this I communicated with everyone I knew. It would capture photos... Like still paintings, of whatever I wished so I used it to keep memories of the places I'd been and all my friends." I shrugged. It made sense that the thing most connected to my soul would be the thing I always had in my hand. Turning to Michael I smiled. "Thank you. Truly."

"Don't thank me." There was an odd edge to his voice for a moment, but he quickly added, "It'll likely take me two years, maybe even three before we can consider sending you home." I couldn't help but smile at how flustered he was seeing a girl cry. How cute. "I'll prepare a room for you to sleep in Miss. It will be ready for you tonight to use."

"I will inform Sir Richard that you will not be joining him for tea today Madam." Alphonse was great at predicting the things you needed before you'd even thought of them.

"Thank you." I activated my summoning stone. By the time I'd reached the door of the tower, Misa and Maybella were there to escort me. Eclis also hung around looking like he had something to say. Before he could, I informed him that I needed to be alone to think and left him there.

In the middle of the rose garden was a gazebo where I took my tea. Only the gardeners, and a few select attendants were allowed in. It was the perfect place to be right now. The air was heavily perfumed, and the rose hedges were laden with fat flowers. Time flew while I processed what to do.

I'm staying here for years...

I couldn't bring myself to be upset at this prospect though. I'd grown to like this place already and I had yet to see the world. Once we figured out how to fix the issue with my soul, I could start practicing magic. Heinrick would teach me basic martial techniques and I'd be set to explore. My lips twitched. Hell yeah.

I considered Misa and Maybella beside me. Both kept casting worried glances at me but seemed to think better of directly asking anything. I'm not alone here. They were beginning to care; it was obvious now. Even Eclis had comforted me. It hadn't gone unnoticed that he'd go out of his way to spend time with me. He wasn't a man who was kind to just anyone and I wouldn't ignore that. The novel was changing. A smile returned finally.

Yeah. I'll carve my mark on this world. No sitting on the sidelines.

"Misa, summon Alphonse for me."

"Ok!" She brightened at the appearance of my smile and dashed off.

They returned quickly. "I see you're feeling better Madam." Alphonse smiled. It was a genuine one, not something done out of courtesy. Why didn't I notice that before?

"Yeah. I don't stay down for long." My smile grew bigger, "Alphonse, I've been having a problem with designers." He gave me a knowing look.

"So I've heard." What doesn't this man know? "It can't be helped. As of this moment, you're an unknown variable to them Madam." I cocked my head and he explained, "While you may be the richest Duchess in the Empire, you have yet to debut into society. It is an opportunity for them if you wear their name on your debut, however, they'll deem it too risky to create something new for someone unknown. These men value their prestige and honor above all else, including money. They did not get there taking risks."

"Were they born into it then?" He nodded.

"Yes, or apprenticed by another designer. In their profession their name and reputation are everything, a misstep will mean ruin and in an empire of immortal's, mistakes are not forgotten. You will find it difficult, even with the Dumont name, to attract a designer bold enough to craft the types of clothes you are looking for Madam."

I nodded, understanding. "Then we'll just need to ensure the rewards are worth the risk then won't we." It was his turn to give me a curious expression. The higher rank a noble that wore a designer's clothes, the greater prestige they received and currently, I was a princess. "I don't intend to debut in just anything. Clothing makes the man after all." I turned to Misa, "Announce that I am looking for a personal designer. Applications are open to all." To become the personal designer of a noble was an incredible honor and would increase the value of their name in society. I was giving a golden rope to rise in society. Misa hesitated before finding the courage to protest.

"Madam, if you open it to all, it could cause gossip and cheapen your reputation."

"It will certainly catch attention, but I don't care about such things. I don't intend to live by the opinions of others here and I do not plan to wear anything that isn't me." She looked confused for a second more, before she smiled.

"Then I shall do as you ask." Ultimately, I could just purchase commoners' clothes if push came to shove, but I wanted enchanted clothing. Comfort was also important after all.