Chapter 26 - Avoiding the inevitable

The next morning, I woke up alone in the room. Even at the palace I hadn't gotten used to waking up in that room, so it was a familiar feeling of vertigo while I remembered where I was. Michael had been kind enough to allow Misa and Maybella access to his tower while I stayed, so shortly after I awoke, they helped dress me. Downstairs I was greeted with the sight of two handsome men waiting at dining table. It looked like it had been placed here for the very occasion.

"Good morning Miss Jasmine!" Michael's kind smile lit up the room.

"Sleep well Jazz?" Eclis' was like a seductive black hole that drew all the attention to it.

"Yes, its an even better morning with you two here. What's the occasion?" My smile was lighthearted.

"Unfortunately, its not for an easy topic. Sit, sit." Michael gestured at the chair across from him. To our left, Eclis sat at the head of the table. The moment I sat Misa began serving us breakfast. It was a wonderful fruit salad cut into little flowers atop a bed of porridge and cream.

"Let me guess then. Something to do with the imperial family?" The way the atmosphere changed; I knew I was correct.

"It's better if we prepare for what is to come Jazz. The imperial family already has an active interest in you." Even though it was a topic I knew was a pain in Eclis' side, he spoke confidently.

"So, I've heard. From what I've read they made sure to contract the crown prince to Julia in the novel. Do you think that'll be the case with me too?"

"Yes. Their intentions will be the same, it doesn't matter the rose they capture." The way Eclis put it, it sounded like I was being hunted.

"But as ever Miss, you'll always have the ability to refuse contracts with any nobility, including the crown prince if you wish, so do not worry." Michael interjected with a smile.

"Never let anyone force you Jazz. If they try, just know that I will kill them for you." Eclis was typically bad at making me feel better, but it still made me smile. I was no longer concerned about being forced into contracts, rather I was concerned with how serious Eclis was when he said he'd kill people for me.

"Wait. Does that mean you won't force me to contract with anyone if I don't want to?" That was unheard of for a Rose.

"No. I wont force you." For a moment I was confused until I remembered I wasn't staying here anyways. Why form a contract with a Rose on a time limit?

A sly smile crept across my face. "What if I want to contract with someone then." He glanced at me and a spark of amusement entered his eye.

"Try it." There was a storm in his eyes that drew me in for a moment.

While we spoke, Michael dismissed Misa and Maybella. He waited until he knew they'd left the tower before speaking again, "The real problem isn't the crown prince but the other fact..." He hedged me to speak. It took me a moment to realize what he was hinting at.

"Oh, right. Yeah." I turned back to Eclis, "I can speak the elder language."

"I know." My eyes narrowed.

"What do you mean you know?"

"You spoke it at the inn back in Eridia." He had a lazy look in his eyes that drew my in. Wait. I did?

"You mean when I was alone?"

"Vampires have far better hearing than humans Miss. If you do not wish for them to know something, you should never speak it aloud. You never know who might be listening." I looked between the two of them, miffed. There was a good reason why the entire palace was sound proofed after all.